• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Powerstream 600w or PC P&C 510 Express

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sneaky

Skulltrail Junkie
alright, first off, for me, neither of these PSU's are more expensive than the other, so DO NOT figure price into the equation - price doesn't matter

right now i'm stuck between the OCZ Powersttream 600w and PC Power & Cooling 510 Express to power my next rig (P3MI Rev. C1)

i know both of these will power my rig just fine - but i need to know which one to get

i know that the OCZ has dual 12v rails, which is an ATX 2.0 requirement, whereas the PC P&C does not

both of them have adjustable voltage pots (12v, 5v, 3.3v)

but the PC P&C has active PFC and +/- 1% voltage regulation - the OCZ still has stabe rails, but not active PFC

i've done my research on them and both of them weigh out to about the same in my eyes

right now i'm leaing towards the OCZ Powerstream 600w mainly because of the dual 12v rail, which will definitely help because i'm going to be using a 24-pin (ATX 2.0) motherboard with it

and also, don't whine about the LED fans in the OCZ, i know, and i don't care - just tell me what you think is the best overall PSU, and why (price doesn't matter!)

Thank you in advance
-Justin

Well OCZ has said themselves that the Powerstreams aren't meant to compete with PCP&C as far as voltage regulation and build quality is concerned. I think that sums it up for me which one is "better". With that said, owning both an OCZ Powerstream and a PCP&C i can say i prefer the PCP&C, but that isn't to say the OCZ is a slouch. You honestly can't go wrong with either unit. If money is no object, then get the best (PCP&C).

PC P&C for me, no contest. ATX 2.0 is a non-issue at these power levels - both will power almost anything I can think of.

If they're the same price, I see no reason to go with the OCZ, which is my major complaint about the 600w unit - too expensive for the level of build quality. I'd wait for the price to drop on it first.

Heres the key thing...never go cheap on your PSU...the PSU is the true heart of a system...

You want good clean power supplied to your hardware...not saying the OCZ doesnt put out clean power...but not compaired to a PC&C...the better the PSU the better the system will perform, especially when OCed...

Its really bad to see someone spending 600+ on a system and then they go and ruin it by buying a cheap PSU that puts out dirty power and shortens the life of the expensive hardware and ruins a good OC because the power is just not their for it...

PC&C is your only choice if you have the money for it...and if not...then save up for one...

my $.02

you're going to get the same results with either psu, get what ever you prefer (I see about +-.01v under heavy load with ocz, do you think pcp&c can beat that? lol)

the words dirty power shouldn't be used with power supplies.. it's a phrase that an audio snob will throw around when you bring up your stereo.

OCZ PowerStream 600W is too darn expensive, I got my PC P&C 510 Deluxe cheaper about $20 ~ $30 and also I do recommended PC P&C, you won't disappointed w/ it

crimedog said:
my $.02

you're going to get the same results with either psu, get what ever you prefer (I see about +-.01v under heavy load with ocz, do you think pcp&c can beat that? lol)

the words dirty power shouldn't be used with power supplies.. it's a phrase that an audio snob will throw around when you bring up your stereo.

Dirty power is the right phrase for it...if you have ever seen cheap and even some of the so called better PSU's under a scope you would know exactely what I am talking about, also dirty power was used in electrical terms way before audiophiles started using it...and like stated above...the OCZ is far from what PC&C is...even OCZ states this...and for the price...go with the best...you will not regret it...

hell, the PC P&C express is $20 cheaper than the OCZ retails for... but the OCZ is even cheaper than what most of you have ever seen it for where i'd be getting it from (secret)

but i think im gonna go with the PC P&C... which i was going to in the first place, then started checking out the OCZ, but now i'm back to the PC P&C :thup:

once again thank you OCF & friends

-Justin

If you can get OCZ alot cheaper than Retail then why not going for it, cheaper on high quality PSU is always better :) hook me up w/ OCZ dude :D

OCS911 said:
If you can get OCZ alot cheaper than Retail then why not going for it, cheaper on high quality PSU is always better :) hook me up w/ OCZ dude :D

i want the best of the best for my rig, theres no cheaping out on my next project - you'll see a project thread pop up soon enough in the modding section of OCF

and sorry bud - no can do :bang head

I was just in the market for a new PSU. I had an FSP400, which wasn't bad at all for only 400watts. It just couldn't handle a P4 with a good video card.

I looked at the OCZ because I heard they were good, and they were more voltage than the PCP&C, even though companies lie about the output, I doubted that either companies would too much. Even so, you can brag easier saying you have 600watts compared to only 510. The OCZ was very expensive though, and it didn't have a reputation with the people here on OCF.

I "grew up" hearing that PCP&C was the best. I compare OCZ to PCP&C. OCZ is a bigger company that sells many different things, and is much better known, yet PCP&C can somehow keep the market for the very highest end power supplies. PCP&C devotes their entire company to making the most stable power supplies.

I chose PCP&P, I bought my 510 Deluxe for $100 shipped and it had a better fan, and was sleeved. A good deal. I do see the rails move every once and a while, but they move for some unknown reason, and not when I suddenly start using more power, it's weird. Without adjusting the pots, all of the voltages are in pretty good shape, and there is no need for me to change them, even though I probably will.

This is definately the best power supply I have ever owned, and I'm keeping it for a long time.

I would go with the PCP&C. Good luck. :)

Sneaky said:
hell, the PC P&C express is $20 cheaper than the OCZ retails for... but the OCZ is even cheaper than what most of you have ever seen it for where i'd be getting it from (secret)

I dunno, I've spotted the actual OEM Topower TOP-706P6 north of the border here for $170 Cdn. compared to around $250 for the OCZ, so I think I could believe you found a significantly lower price on the OCZ ;)

I'm still debating using the Topower for my upcoming A64 build... it's having to fight off a couple formidable Fortron units, but still in the running.

Enjoy the PC P&C :)

Edit - just rechecked the price on the Topower. It's plummeted to $156 :drool:

www.bmtnet.com

Sneaky said:

but i think im gonna go with the PC P&C... which i was going to in the first place, then started checking out the OCZ, but now i'm back to the PC P&C :thup:

once again thank you OCF & friends

-Justin

Only took you 2 identical threads to decide :p

I think you are making the better choice, PCP&C is THE best power supply.

If you know where to get it (OCZ) cheap, let everyone know, part of giving back to the community. Unless you're getting something illeagal, let everyone enjoy good deals:thup:

A couple of issues/features sold me on the PowerStream 600 over the PCP&P 510 Deluxe. I could buy either one money isn't a problem. I like the fact the OCZ has split 12v rails, they use shielded VGA power and HDD power, it offers SLI power, and the 20/24 pin ATX is modular so no adapter is needed to use either.

Once PCP&P gets off their rump and rolls out their updated PSU then I'll give the nod back to them but for now OCZ has done a better job at providing a modern power supply that supports modern hardware.

Back