• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is extreme, extreme?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SwampThing said:
By the way, the r744 I mentioned earlier is carbon dioxide. High number, not explosive; no 'a' on the end, so you can't claim a exception based on that... Note how man_utd disappeared when asked to site a source.
Note how you took a dig at him instead of just correcting the inacurate information and leaving it at that.

I thought the R22, R290, R404 etc had to do with the actual chemical compsition, like the actual molecular structure. I haven't taken any chemistry since 1st year though, so this is probably wrong....

eobard said:
The extreme really stands for the degree of cooling you get out of a system. Air can't dip below ambient, refrigerated cooling can go well below room temp. However there is also the potential for explosions depending on the kind of extreme cooling used so "extreme" has a secondary meaning of "extremely hazzardous".

i agree with this as probably the best explenation as to why the word extreme is used.

it could be related to the dangers as others have mentioned which are more than just condensation.

snvpa said:
If this was true than R404a which is not flamable would be more explosive than r290 Propane (highly flammable). :rolleyes:

Talking to my coworker who has had experience with refridgeration systems in the past, his recollection is the numbering system relates to the flourine, chlorine, and hydrogen atoms. (his experience was with the R numbers under 200.)

the numbers correspond to the number of atoms of each element in the molecules, the letters at the end correspond to the different isotopes if there are any.

First digit on the right = Number of fluorine atoms

Second digit from the right = Number of hydrogen atoms plus one

Third digit from the right = Number of carbon atoms minus one
(not used when equal to zero)

Fourth digit from the right = Number of unsaturated carbon-carbon
bonds in the compound
(not used when equal to zero)

Sorry, let me reclarify. That applies for 1-3, and I had it backwards. 1 is the most dangerous, 2 is next, 3 is least.

an "a" at the end means that is a variation of the molecular structure.

an "A" or another capital letter designates a specific proportion for the gasses. (404A is a mixture of several gases)

Hey, I make mistakes, it's okay. I looked it up in the refrigerant hanbook applications program to fix what I said, so sorry about that.

I dissapeared because I have work and I don't always get back to threads. Sorry.

blinky said:
the numbers correspond to the number of atoms of each element in the molecules, the letters at the end correspond to the different isotopes if there are any.

Small nitpick: Isotopes are for elements, not chemicals or molecules.

More explanation:

0=methane series. ex. r12, r.22
1=ethane series. ex. 134a
2=propane 290
3=?
4=zeotropic
5=azeotropic
6=organic
7=inorganic
11=unsaturated ethane (ethylene)
12=unsaturated propane (propylene)

Also some corrections
1st number= #Carbon
2nd number=#Hydrogen
3rd number=#Fluorine
? Not sure if that is correct, methane is CH4.

Information from Refrigerant Applications Handbook

Might be worth making a sticky on this.

Last edited:
Im with some of the others. Its considered extreme because it goes well beyond what is considered normal or necessary cooling. Sort of like extreme scootering and the likes.

AC

Back