• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to install a window

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Agent Z said:
hey that is a great tut..and the case mod looks great also...
How much did you pay for the window?
Thx..The plexi was about $18 usd

I have a question: Once i have cut the hole and i have my trim around the edge. How does the Plexi stay in because surely there will be a gap between the Plexi and the case where the trim is. Kind of hard to explain.

Hi Chris

There is a working tolerance between the rubber strip & the Plexi. There is also an inner strip which is pushed into the rubber which takes up the slack around the window. UR right it is kind of hard to explain but all will come good when you have your kit.

Acko

DarkDraco said:
i got a bit lost at the end, whats that silver border stuff around the window?
It's car door trim .. you can find it at any auto parts store. comes in crome, black white ect.

rUfUnKy said:
It's car door trim .. you can find it at any auto parts store. comes in crome, black white ect.

I still dont get how it works though because surely once you put the trim around the hole in the case door, the window will stand proud of the case panel and leave a gap. Or do you have to cut the lexan exactly to shape so it fits into the trim?

Top job I was goin to buy a side with a window but yours looks so wicked I think I might try to do it myself. Liquid Nails does come clear also so I think I'll try it out. Great job

well i got up the gutz and cut my own....

had fun... well now I know why you tape the painted side... slipped while deburring multiple times and now it is scratched up...

i guess i have to paint it now...

I cut as close to straight as a could and sanded / filed down what wasn't and can't get it perfect (near but if you look closely you can see it is not perfectly straight.) so I also see the point of the trim lol :)

dont have a camera otherwize i would post pic.

2 Things to Add

1st If there is a pic that needs to be hosted and it is alright with ruFunky, I will host it for people.

2nd can I use this same procedure for putting in a Top and Bottom Window. Yep I want a window in the bottom of my case and another one in the top of the case. Just to be diffrent.

Wanna know the same....Was the car door trim, like the trim used in window kits where the window goes into the side panel (cut the same shape as the hole)? Or is it flush mount to the case so no gap and can be fastened to the back of the side panel?

Hey! All

Great tutorial rUfUnKy ....Looks awsome, congratulations!

Has anyone sourced the Lexan window material and that cool Chrome edging in the UK. I can't find anywhere that sells this stuff for reasonable prices??

Also how many meters of edging would a good sized window project require??

Man!... the UK always lags behind with computer stuff. We still have to pay through the nose for the stuff which you guys get on NewEgg for cheap. Plus you get free shipping:rolleyes:

Back