• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to install a window

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
KemoSabe said:

Man!... the UK always lags behind with computer stuff. We still have to pay through the nose for the stuff which you guys get on NewEgg for cheap. Plus you get free shipping:rolleyes:

I live in Australia.. I know JUST what you mean.

Hey guys,
I heard a few questions about how the car door trim works, and since I've done the same thing as RuFunky to my case, I figured I'll answer you guys. Yes, the trim does create a lip that goes around the window, you could cut the trim in half to avoid that, but it doesn't look as good.
To get around this, I used sticky sided velcro( I got like 8ft of it from home depot) and put it around the window. The velcro turns out to be thicker than the door trim so it won't fall off, plus if you want to replace the window at a later date, its easy to take off.
Hope this helps

kemosabe,
I used about 4-5 feet (1.2-1.5m) of the car door trim, although my window was fairly large, so you could get by with a little less depending on what you want to do. What you need to watch out for is the trim doesn't bend very well around tight corners, the top left corner in this pic is about as tight as I could get it to go. - I tried to make my window a little different from RuFunky's,but it turned out to be almost outright plagiarism. :( oh well
computerlighted.jpg

mtb856 said:
kemosabe,
I tried to make my window a little different from RuFunky's,but it turned out to be almost outright plagiarism. :( oh well
LoL.. none the less great job ;)

great sticky for the person asking about the hole saws look at your local plumbing store i know mine has every thign from a 1 inch to a 8 inch the 80mm use a 3 inch 92mm use a 3.5 inch and a 120mm use a 4.75 inch

See This thread is located at:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=297421&goto=newpost

I just started the thread and it has pics of my new hole saw.

It was a bit pricey. 54$ CDN for just the hole saw, not including the arbor in the middle with the drill bit. But it is Milwakie brand. #1 in my opinion. I have 3 diffrent Milwaike brand saws and none of them have ever gone dull cutting through many many steel cases.

P.S. sorry if the pics were down in this thread. The box I was working on for the new fan mod in the other thread, is also the one that hosts the window install pics for this thread. I try to keep the pics up as much as possible, but sometimes my drill and I get an itchy trigger finger and I have to mod something just to keep myself sain.

Capt Fiero said:
sometimes my drill and I get an itchy trigger finger and I have to mod something just to keep myself sain.
HeHe... I know that fealing all to well :D..

Yeah, it's not hopeless, just get the edges as smooth as possible and then use rubber trim or that car door trim to cover up the ragged edges. That should protect your window from being scratched. Nice job on the window/fan placement, though, I like how it's set up.

Kick *** guide! I've just finished installing my window. My hands are killing me though. I used a case nibbler instead of a rotary tool. I wouldn't recommend doing what I did.

wildbilly2k said:
did you use a drafters curve tool to make those nice round curves when you drew it?

no, he said he used a CD for the corners and then a smaller diameter round object for the tighter corner...READ!!

Heads Up about PIC's

I am the guy hosting all the pics for this thread, and the time has come to finally retire the Ausus P3B-F MB and P3-550 Slot one CPU. The server will be going offline for about 24hrs while I upgrade the rig and do a complete cleaning of the machine. Re-install windows and all that good stuff.

So the pics are going to be down, but don't worry, I will have everything back up and running as quickly as I can.

P.S. The new server has a custom case window, http://www.captfiero.com/server2pics

Ok server is back upgraded and all the pics should be back up and running. Could someone PM me and let me know if everything is loading. It all seems fine, however I am loading the pics from a local machine. (server is ran from my house 2 feet from me.)

OK, I don't know how many of you are still paying attention to this thread, but I had some q's. First off, great guide, I've had a design in mind that I want to put into an old case that I'll be using for travelling, and now I think I'll be able to do it.

First: I live in an apt and don't have any of these tools. The most I have is an electric drill (crappy, I know). In any case, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to a way around this problem? Should I bite the bullet and go out and purchase the tools needed (in which case, a list of tools needed for mod'ing cases would be nice), or does anyone know of big chains (Loews, Home Depot) that possibly will work with me by letting me pay them to do quick jobs or something? My only issue is that I'm only mod'ing this case, and I can imagine mod'ing more in the future but being in school I don't have a whole lot of extra cash to throw around (mainly on cases, so buying the tools for 1 job almost seems pointless. None the less, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Again, great guide!!

Very nice looking. I have read a few guides on how to make a windows but they all turned out really ugly but this one looks nice!

Back