• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to install a window

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rUfUnKy

On request I'm posting this short how to on putting in a window

1) First I taped the door off. With a pencil, ruler and measuring tape I measured all the drive cages power supply ex. and drew it on the door (I advise you to take any handles etc.. off so they don't get scratched or in your way)

2) Next what I did is looked at what I had to work with. so I could decide what shape window would look best and I could make sure that everything I wanted to show through the window did. (and what I didn't want to show didn't)

2.jpg

Last edited:
3) After I sketched out what I wanted, I took the ruler (for my straight lines) and a cd and also a smaller round object (for the corners) and drew my final window.

3.jpg

Last edited:
4) I then clamped my door to the table with a towel in between the clamp and door.I used a RTX (like a dremal) for half of this then decided to borrow a jig saw. I advise you use the jigsaw (with a thin metal plastic 21 tpi blade) cuts like butter.

( Don't forget to wear your safty glasses!! :) )

5) Now without removing the tape I debured all the edges with my RTX.

5.jpg

Last edited:
6) For the trim I used car door trim (get it any auto parts store)

7) Last I used a piece of lexan that I got at a local plastics shop.
you can use liquid nails or double sided tape to hold it to the door (I used D/S tape) and that's about it hope this helps....
7.jpg
8.jpg

Last edited:
Nice to see such flare!
Beats the traditional square or rectangular hole. In fact I think I`m that impressed I`ll go for a simular shape myself.
Acko

What does the inside look like???
did you put the glass in between the metal, or just against the inside

DKC said:
What does the inside look like???
did you put the glass in between the metal, or just against the inside
I actually got it to fit nice and snug right inside the bends in the metal...:)

jdmcnudgent said:
what is the purpose of taping it off first?
It gives you something to draw a nice clear shape on and prevents scratches when cutting out the window with your dremal or jigsaw also when you slip while deburing the edges .. I do mean when....:eek:
Originally posted by jdmcnudgent mod looks great.:D

Yodums said:
Question:

Between the Lexan and the panel, what's that in between it? I'm planning to put a window as well soon.
Not sure what you mean .. The only thing that should be between the two is double sided tape, liquid nails or some thing of the sort to hold the window on..Unless your looking at chrome molding ..??

OK I attached a file. What's in between the red lines, and the arrows are pointing to it.

As for a dremel. How much cut-off wheels did you use for the first portion?

Yodums said:
OK I attached a file. What's in between the red lines, and the arrows are pointing to it.

As for a dremel. How much cut-off wheels did you use for the first portion?
Yodums buddy, I think you forgot the image..
;)

Back