• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to install a window

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Benvanz said:

The no pic was and will be my fault. Sorry. I have been hosting the pics for over a year or so for this thread on my personal server at my house, but.....

:p

I recently got an INTERNET upgrade to 7mb down / 1.5mb up. So I fired up my torrent server again. Note the total download speeds at the bottom. My issue is even though I am not using even close to my total bandwidth with the FTP/Torrent/Web server apps, it on occasion kills all the traffic except the torrent program.

DISCLAIMER

I am not in the USA nore do I condone pirating of any software or doing bad things.

Oh here is da pic. If it won't work. Sorry you will need to try again later.

dowload.jpg

Capt Fiero said:
The no pic was and will be my fault. Sorry. I have been hosting the pics for over a year or so for this thread on my personal server at my house, but.....

:p

I recently got an INTERNET upgrade to 7mb down / 1.5mb up. So I fired up my torrent server again. Note the total download speeds at the bottom. My issue is even though I am not using even close to my total bandwidth with the FTP/Torrent/Web server apps, it on occasion kills all the traffic except the torrent program.

DISCLAIMER

I am not in the USA nore do I condone pirating of any software or doing bad things.

Oh here is da pic. If it won't work. Sorry you will need to try again later.

dowload.jpg

Let me guess....high speed xtreme from shaw :attn:

Give shaw a call, they will help you all the way until it hits the after the modem, everything after they wont help you with.... :-/

O and it works (pic)

Benvanz said:
Let me guess....high speed xtreme from shaw :attn:

Give shaw a call, they will help you all the way until it hits the after the modem, everything after they wont help you with.... :-/

O and it works (pic)

Yep shaw extreme-1 Docsis with the Motorola Surfboard. I LOVE IT!!!!!!! 7mb down and 1.5mbps up. Yaa Baby.

I am loving it. Problem is I am filling up hard drives way to fast. Server has 6 drives running it in it now, and I am going to have to buy a couple 250's to replace a few aging 80's.

Shaw and I have a great relationship, I don't ask for there help unless it is a hardware issue or low signal problem that I "can't" fix. And they don't send me messages for going over my "bandwidth limit"

But back to windows. Did I ever post a pic of the server window I made. 30" tall server case and I put a full lenght custom window in it.

Yep shaw extreme-1 Docsis with the Motorola Surfboard. I LOVE IT!!!!!!! 7mb down and 1.5mbps up. Yaa Baby.

Im hoping to get that soon, my parents said I didnt need faster :(

I am loving it. Problem is I am filling up hard drives way to fast. Server has 6 drives running it in it now, and I am going to have to buy a couple 250's to replace a few aging 80's.

Dont forget the raid 1 ;)

Shaw and I have a great relationship, I don't ask for there help unless it is a hardware issue or low signal problem that I "can't" fix. And they don't send me messages for going over my "bandwidth limit"

I have been a customer on the island since it was available, I think I probably go over the limit every month...nvr ONE message :shrug:

But back to windows. Did I ever post a pic of the server window I made. 30" tall server case and I put a full lenght custom window in it.

No, and plz do...

The pics are quite old, it has a new MB, new PSU, more drives and several other upgrades. Somewhere on this forum there is a 5 or 6 page build thread with like 80 pics.

Fiero2.JPG

Kinda%20Scary.JPG

Up%20Top,%20USB%202.0%20External%20HD%20and%20Backup%20UPS%20for%20server..JPG

Last edited:
Wow, AWESOME MOD! I coulda done this to my ugly full-tower Antec instead of buying a new case for $155.

Capt Fiero, I haven't been posting much lately but I Just wanted to thank you for hosting these pics for so long. That's dedication! 9,721 views and growing .....Thanks Bud :)

I try to keep it up as much as possible, I think I get about 90% uptime with it. I don't mind helping out with pic hosting when I can.

I recently revised my network setup as I found my issue with people not being able to get to the server was my torrents were getting so many connections that it was over taxing my router. ( trying to pump 7mb down 1.5mb up through a 4 year old netgear router was just too much for it.

I split up my network using a 4 port switch off of the cable modem into 2 seperate routers leaving the torrents and server on its own router with no other traffic and all seems to be well. It did change my IP but I think I updated all the links that were using my IP addy rather than my domain name.

Well in short.

Glad to be of help.

---------------

Now if I could just convince my ISP that the 120gig of torrents I downloaded in december was legit becuase it was only TV shows I would be perfect.

look guys u dont need car door trim, just simply take a thicker wire nd cut right down the middle over he whole length
take out the actul wire and just fit the wire casing around the door

and for the appartment guy, get a dremel they are prolly the most handiest too in the world

Figured I would throw my attempt based on this thread.

My case is kinda a holey thing.

Old pic from last summer (I think)
001.jpg

So, I woke up really eairly 2 days ago, and decided I was putting a window in my case. I had a really bad experiance putting a window in my last case, but this I had all the proper tools (drill, jig saw, etc).
002.jpg

Put some of that low tack painters tape over the panel.
003.jpg

I drilled some holes in the corners to start the cuts with jig saw. My GF would kill me if she knew I was doing this on the rug ;)
004.jpg

Cut cut cut. File down the edges to make it purdie.
005.jpg

Put some car door trim on the edges.
006.jpg

My case had a filter on the inside, that had screws on the outside holding it on, so I just used the holes for that to screw the lexan on. Sorry, forgot to take pics of that.

wap the sucka on, and it is teh kewl!!1!1one! That fan on the heatsink is spinning at like... a bazillion rpm, no blurrrrrrrrrrry.
007.jpg

008.jpg

Future plans are maybe a window on the top, maybe some tin foil under the remaining mesh, and I might paint the chassie black.

009.jpg

Last edited:
I am going to be doing some major hardware changes over the next few days. Oct 8th to the 12th. So the pics may be down here and there. The server started acting up after the last round of upgrades so I have to chase down what is the issue.

Its almost hard to believe this thread is still around after all these years. Well I did a major update and uploaded 25gig to a new off site server. I did a re-check and all the photos from this thread moved just fine and everyone should be able to see all the pics from the first page. New server is 100mbps upstream, 2.5 TB of data transfer per month and only costs me $120 per year. See ya all on the flip side.
Da Capt.

Hosting the pics for this thread, 16 years and count. I just did a server change and wanted to make sure this specific thread was still working. At one time it was a sticky thread that everyone used when learing how to put a window into a case. Long before EVERY DAMN CASE YOU BUY NOW COMES WITH A WINDOW PRE INSTALLED.

Holy crap my sig is so outdated too. I've got an I7-6700K with 32gb of DDR4 and over 20tb of internal storage now. Wow how times have changed.

Back