• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking problem with DFI nF4 ultra..please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ray99mond

Registered
I just got a DFI nf4 ultra D, rev0A.
When I plan to increase the FSB from 200, the pc will reboot during the boot up ifi set the fsb more than 203?
Anyone know what setting or what problem do I have? I am using WD SATA drive on SATA port 1...
I tried BIOS 09/2, 15/2 also no help

THX a lot

basiscally everything is default ...
my ram n processor is not a problem coz i can go more than 250 on other nf4 board..
so the problem is the bios setting, or others

We need to know exact settings! And exact ram. This board is VERY ram picky, even if you know the ram is good.

I have the EXACT same problem, I have gotten it in to windows at 260HT stable before after playing with it, but I set it too high, and it went back to its not going in to windows over 205ishHT.

I am having a very similar situation. I am using OCZ VX memory and I cannot pass memtest if I have an FSB higher than 210. I am currently running at 2-2-2-5, but no go anything past 210. Any ideas, I am sure it is not a RAM issue as OCZ VX is proven binned memory. Similar to the TwinMOS SP stuff that TimoneX is having such great experience with.

I have having the same issues cant go over 250 with 1.5-2-2-5 timmings...and now seems like anything over stock is eating windows files sytem in sig...we have to figure out a work around as it is kind vexing me that this board is doing this...

The 02/17 & 02/18 bios versions seem to be the best, I recommend them. The board is not only picky about ram, but picky about power. Make certain you have all FOUR power connectors connected to the board and if you have a 20pin PSU you need to get a 24pin unit.

Timone, are you saying to plug in the extra FDD and the HDD connectors even though they're only there if you're using SLI?

I have 24pin PSU and i have the Molex and the fdd conector in along with the other 4pin...what do you recomend for flashing the bios with...

TimoneX i am going to drop you a PM if you arn't already swamped witht hem that is...

If you have the recommended PSU & have all the power connections connected and still cannot get the board to overclock then I suggest you fllash to beta bios 02/17 or 02/18. I've hosted them here:

http://webpages.charter.net/timonex/nf4ld217.rar
http://webpages.charter.net/timonex/nf4ld218.rar

Please note the files are in .rar format and must be extracted prior to flashing. I suggest you use winrar and test the files prior to extracting & flashing to ensure data integrity.

If you cannot get into windows to use winflash then either place the *.bin file together with awdflash.exe on a clean boot floppy or CD. Boot from the floppy or CD you created and type:

awdflash /cc /cp <biosfile.bin>

If you're using a bootable CD(preferred) then do not try to save the old file, as you'll encounter write errors. When finished flashing restart the system, enter bios, select load optimized defaults, save & exit, then get into the bios and change the necessary settings. If you notice any odd behavior in the bios or data corruption, I suggest you shut the system down and reset the CMOS jumper for a minimum of 30 seconds. There are well written instructions on resetting the CMOS on DFI boards located here:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=325031

There is also a good deal of information about setting this board up located in my thread here:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=365248&page=1

Suggested PERFORMANCE memory timings for OCZ VX/winbond UTT are:

Ratio 200(1:1)
CPC Enable
CAS 1.5
TRCD 2
TRAS 0
TRP 2
TRC 7
TRFC 15
TRRD 1
TWR 2
TWTR 1
TRTW 1
TREF 3120
TWCL 1
INTERLEAVE Enabled

DQS Skew Increase
DQS Skew V 0
Dram Drive Str 6
Dram Data 4
Max Async 6.0ns
Read Preamble 5.0ns
Idle Cycle Counter Enable
R/W Bypass 16x
Bypass Max 7x
32Byte Granularity Disable(8 Bursts)

If these settings do not work then try
2-2-2-8
TRC = 9
TRFC =17
TREF = 0648
TWTR = 02
TRTW = 02
Max Async = 7.0ns
Read Preamble = 6.5ns
Idle Cycle Counter = Disable

If you get a floppy boot error and long beeps then you likely have a memory setting problem and I've found holding the <insert> key while powering up to be effective at putting the system into "safe" boot mode. There is also the safe boot jumper. If all else fails reset the CMOS as per the previous instructions.

Instructions for creating a clean boot CD for bios flashing in Floppy 2.88Mb emulation mode:

http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/
1) Get BCD_v1.1.1, BFD, v1.0.7, Clean v1.0, & winaspi32.dll
2) Extract BCD, BFD, and Clean to c:\BCD (will overwrite itself...this is normal)
3) Put winaspi32.dll in C:\BCD\bin
4) Put awdflash.exe and the bios files you want to burn(02/17, 02/18) into c:\bcd\cds\clean\bootdisk
5) Insert CD-R/RW
6) Go to a command prompt and CD to C:\BCD
7) Type "BCD CLEAN"

Done. It'll create one clean boot CD w/ 2.88Mb Floppy emulation.

There's really no use for A64 tweaker on the DFI nf4 boards. DFI has included every single option tweaker has right in the bios and a few more.

If you tell me exactly what brand & model of ram you have, it's configuration(SS or DS), it's default timings, it's voltage requirements, and exactly which cpu you have as well as the approximate capabilities of both your CPU & ram I can probably recommend some decent bios settings.

Aside from the obviously important mem settings of cas, trp, trcd, & tras, I've found the trc, trfc, tref, & async latency to be the most important settings that can either make or break memory stability. The more recent beta bios' also have a completely functional memtest+ v1.51 embedded into them making diagnosing memory problems or just optimizing memory a great deal more convenient than it is on other boards.

TimoneX said:
There's really no use for A64 tweaker on the DFI nf4 boards. DFI has included every single option tweaker has right in the bios and a few more.

If you tell me exactly what brand & model of ram you have, it's configuration(SS or DS), it's default timings, it's voltage requirements, and exactly which cpu you have as well as the approximate capabilities of both your CPU & ram I can probably recommend some decent bios settings.

Aside from the obviously important mem settings of cas, trp, trcd, & tras, I've found the trc, trfc, tref, & async latency to be the most important settings that can either make or break memory stability. The more recent beta bios' also have a completely functional memtest+ v1.51 embedded into them making diagnosing memory problems or just optimizing memory a great deal more convenient than it is on other boards.

Hi, Thx for your help.
what is the best setting for ram below (all dual channel)
crucial ballistic pc4000 - micron ballistic - 1GB
kingston hyperx pc4300 - hynix ct-d43 - 512MB
corsair xms xlpro - samsung tccd - 1GB

Back