• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI X800XL or Powercolor X800XL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Capt_Caveman

I can never make a decision so I'm hoping will help me make it for me. I currently have an unopened ATI X800XL that I got for $290. However, there is a Powercolor X800XL for $370 that has a number of things that the ATI doesn't. Such as dual dvi(I'll eventually have two LCD monitors), vivo and 1.6ns DDR3(better for overclocking) compared to the ATI's 2.0ns DDR3.

Is the $80 difference worth it?

Thanks for the reply. How much more performance can I get w/ 1.6ns DDR3 over 2.0ns DDR3? I really want to get the Powercolor but I can't justify to myself the price difference. I know I'm a cheap *******.

Capt_Caveman said:
Thanks for the reply. How much more performance can I get w/ 1.6ns DDR3 over 2.0ns DDR3? I really want to get the Powercolor but I can't justify to myself the price difference. I know I'm a cheap *******.

No, it's not worth it. 1.6ns memory would be nice, but I wouldn't pay an additional $80 for 20-30 Mhz on a memory overclock (and that's a stretch if you ask me). If you're willing to pay that much for an x800XL, you'd be better off investing into something a tad more expensive. Otherwise, enjoy your current card for under $300.

deception``

Thanks for the info. For that little of an overclock, it isn't worth it. Plus, instead of having to wait for a new card, I can build this puppy tonight. I'll provide a review and benchmarks when I get a chance. I hope I can get numbers like Sen.

i think its worth it to get the powercolor, especially if you use VIVO, btw it also has a power connector

Capt_Caveman said:
Thanks for the info. For that little of an overclock, it isn't worth it. Plus, instead of having to wait for a new card, I can build this puppy tonight. I'll provide a review and benchmarks when I get a chance. I hope I can get numbers like Sen.

I look forward to your review and hope you include some nice pics of the new card as well...... :attn:

bench marks

Hey I just got my new computer built

AMD 64 3200
1 gig corsair value select (2*512)
ati x800 xl
chaintech nforce4 ultra

running 3d mark 05 I got a score of 4k something(figured it would store the score so I didn't copy haha). But I am running at like 25* celsius so I think im gonna try a little over clocking and see if I can boost that a bit.

Retest

As far as the drivers I didn't have the updates so il run it again tonight but it seems in line with other scores of 47 hundred I have been seeing. For the case this is my first build but the temperarture changes and when I game it raises about 2 degrees so it seems like its working to me. I have an Aspire X-navigator so I have 5 fans going, but I never set it or anything so maybe thats my problem? anyways I will go through and post that updated 05 score tonight.

:sn:

Back