• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus makes a Dothan -->S478 adapter :O

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
man_utd said:
Announcing is nice. When are we going to see it?

Exactly. Sonoma will probably take a few more months beforte it gets availavle, and it will be freakin' expensive at start.

If ASUS can make a 100.000 of these convertors and get them shipped effectively, they can easily make 3 million bucks.

I can almost bet this thing once again was made for stability, to be used in a sff, a quiet pcs etc. Asus Makes rarely makes stuff for extreme overclocking. Some overclocking is possible. One more thing, looking at this of this thing, how would you be able to close and open the socket 478 lever. It looks like it will cover everything, including the lever.
Thanks

it's actually cut flash on the west side... should give the clearance for the lever. check it out:

ct47919mk.jpg

i don't care how thick that is.. im still gonna rip apart my brothers laptop, take his 2.4 dothan, and stick it in my p4p800... then im gonna go all out and crush the thing (just enough so it still works) by mounting my Zalman 7000cu =P

I hope that this means a Dothan-supporting motherboard with Dual Channel, fully functional locks, and most of all, rich memory latency and overclocking features!

A Dothan machine with dual channel, PCI-Express (SLI), and a high FSB would be incredible - enough to make me buy an intel machine.

Unfortunately, I cannot see this product becoming widely available. More likely this will be an extra that will ship with some ASUS products, or that will be available in limited quantities.

In that vein, given the very low demand for such an adaptor, the functionality of this will probably not be the best: there are often compatibility issues and general problems with things like this, especially when there is a low demand for the product.

felinusz said:
I hope that this means a Dothan-supporting motherboard with Dual Channel, fully functional locks, and most of all, rich memory latency and overclocking features!

A Dothan machine with dual channel, PCI-Express (SLI), and a high FSB would be incredible - enough to make me buy an intel machine.

Unfortunately, I cannot see this product becoming widely available. More likely this will be an extra that will ship with some ASUS products, or that will be available in limited quantities.

In that vein, given the very low demand for such an adaptor, the functionality of this will probably not be the best: there are often compatibility issues and general problems with things like this, especially when there is a low demand for the product.
Its weird, that DFI, Abit didnt make a dothan board with pci express, dual channel ram, etc.
Thanks

felinusz said:

Agreed. Only problem is that Dothans are still quite expensive.
Also, according to X-Bit labs, Asus will give a HSF with the card so this may reduce hopes of being able to mount a S478 Heatsink such as a Thermalright onto this.
Also, as for latency and quality issues, I doubt we'll see many problems, although there always could be with the first revision. Asus as I recall made the best slotkit for S370 --> S1 conversions, and I have no reason to believe that they will make a poor quality product with this.
I only wish that they gave an adaptor for a S478 heatsink as mentioned, but I doubt they're targeting serious overclockers with this setup.

Of course, I can't wait until someone rigs a phase-change setup with this. ;)

If you remove the socket retentation, could you possible get enoguh clearance to mount a hsf to the whole on the board.
Thanks

Mr.Guvernment said:
what about surrounding mofets and such getting in the way of that adapter.....

What i was thinking.

How about boards that have the socket in a 45 degree angle? those won't fit for sure. And the Abit OTES? will that fit?

Still. A dothan with DC and a very fast bus will be scary to see in benchmarks. it would rival even the fast S939 A64s

Sjaak said:
BTW, isn't that thing going to produce latency? Thats one thing we absolutely don't want.

Theoretically it should produce some sort of latency. Obviously we don't know until some tests are run, but something with native Socket 479 support would be favorable as far as latencies are concerned.

Back