• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus makes a Dothan -->S478 adapter :O

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think it will have any added latency. It should just be like a slot1 <-> s370 "slocket".

What scares me, are the jumpers on the adapter, can we set it to auto. Or is it once you set the jumper to 133, the motherboard will think, its a 133mhz cpu, and you can raise the fsb from the bios or software.
Thanks

Why hasnt anybody mention heat sinks?
Those jumpers and the power plug will hamper things alot.
Even tho the dothan dont need a great heatsink but i guess most 478 755 sink wont fit.

You could mod the convertor. Solder on the power on the other side of the convertor. Remove the jumpers, and solder directly underneath the convertor. Might make a big heatsink fit.
Thanks

elec999 said:
You could mod the convertor. Solder on the power on the other side of the convertor. Remove the jumpers, and solder directly underneath the convertor. Might make a big heatsink fit.
Thanks

or just put the head of a prommie straight on it :cool:

If ASUS wants this to become popular within the enthousiast market, they may need to rethink their design (as you said)

jenko said:
Why hasnt anybody mention heat sinks?
Those jumpers and the power plug will hamper things alot.
Even tho the dothan dont need a great heatsink but i guess most 478 755 sink wont fit.

If the sink is small enough so that the power plug is not underneath it, I don't think there should be any issues at all. I am not too familiar with the newer mounting systems (I still clip it on via the socket lugs of my Socket 462 system), but I beleive with the springs and screws, the heatsink can be higher or lower and still have the same amount of force being applied, if the springs or whatever are long enough.

Again, that is just my thinking, I am not familiar at all with the newer mounting systems.

They should somehow make that power connector extended and have wires from the PCB to the connector so you can connect it outside of the heatsink area then there would be no issues in terms of mounting heatsinks/waterblocks/whatever.

Sjaak said:
or just put the head of a prommie straight on it :cool:

If ASUS wants this to become popular within the enthousiast market, they may need to rethink their design (as you said)

They should just make an 875P based 479 MB.

man_utd said:
DFI was supposed to be making a 915p board, haven't heard much about it in a while.

Ill pass on that. The 915 is one of the worst chipsets Intel has come out with in awhile.

If I were Asus I would release a killer dothan overclocking board. It would produce alot of money for them. Its odd not Dfi has done this.
Thanks

Andor said:
So will Yonahs work in this thing?

No, Yonahs are another re-arranged socket type. You need to use the native yonah mobos for there is no adapter.

btw..talk about thread resurrection..lol.

Didn't they just swap two pins (hardware hack could fix that)
But is there a chipset that will support Yonah on desktop motherboards that this thing would even come close to plugging into?

and WELCOME TO LAST YEAR!! ;)

When I said hardware hack I ment re-routing the wiring in the adaptor for the pin changes. and yes that would screw up the adaptor for what it was designed for but if it works for Yonah WHO CARES! ;)
and I cant get that link to work caater. (FF or IE)

Back