• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid 0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woozy

I have my computer setup with one hard drive connected to the main IDE cable. Since my motherboard is able to do Raid 0 , 1 and 0+1. I want to use Raid 0 and get better performance out of my rig. I going to a computer show this weekend with 130 bucks. I gunna try to buy two hard drives and new heat sink. I wanna know if I get two 40 gig hard drives will that be good, and what kind of 40 gig hard drives do I want ot look for? Now I have an idea on how my setup will work with three hard drives. My old 80 gig samsung will load windows and the two new ones working with the Raid 0 will be the way I will save all my new information. Please help me if I getting this idea wrong. I'm looking to spend 100 on two drives and 30 for heat sink.

From what I hear, larger drives are faster, so if you see a 120gb for $50 after MIRB or something, go for that instead. Also, make sure to get 8mb cache drives. Will this be IDE or SATA raid?

well from my experience, raid 0 is good and reliable, but don't you think its a waste of resource if you just put that ata raid to storage? you should run your os with that and then you'll see the benefits.... by the way did your mobo supported ata raid or sata raid or both coz these are two different things that is if yoiu don't know....
and if you have a sata port use that instead of IDE its faster and way better....

South Bridge:
-2 x UltraDMA 100
-2 x Serial ATA with RAID 0, 1
Promise 20378 RAID controller:
-1 x UltraDMA 133 support two hard drives
-2 x Serial ATA -RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, Multiple RAID

well if yoiu have a sata raid do a raid 0 with two 80g hard drive, thats 160gb of storage and os i think you should do that..... Its really freaking fast if your switching from IDE you'll see the difference so have fun man

I don't think 2x 80gb in RAID 0 is 160gb since you are effectively only able to store 80gb worth of unquie data per drive.

Cool. Glad your enjoying your AMD. I <3 amd!

But you've got a S939 as appose my slightly annoying but still fairly quick S754.
Nice ram aswell, whats chips are those sticks running?

2x80gb in a raid 0 does equal 160gb. It takes the data you write/read and splits it between the drives, therefor doubling the space. Raid 1 writes the same info to each drive so you only have 80gb.

Dayton

Quattro said:
I don't think 2x 80gb in RAID 0 is 160gb since you are effectively only able to store 80gb worth of unquie data per drive.

2 X 80gig seagate sata's RAID0 gives me 149 gigs under WIn2K with my P4C800E-DX, and same thing on my P4P800E-DX.

Well I will have to wait I spent my money on new heatsink thermaltake xaser edition spark 7, wireless keyboard mouse combo, and dvd combo driver for burning hours of fun. Just waiting on my motherboard to come back from asus rma :). Then it will be back to fun. I'll be looking into saving $200 for two 80 gig samsung drives. I have Two already they work great. But they are already into of my other rigs already.

Back