• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sandpaper for lapping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dolemitecomputer

I have some articles about lapping but I am still not sure what grit of sand paper to use. I use a Globalwin POP38 heatsink/fan and it is not too badly "unlapped" but it needs to be done. Should I use 400 then 600 then 800? Or just use one type of sand paper? I've seen some people recommend even using a thinner or ligher grit of paper like 1200 or something. Any suggestions?

I went up to 1200 grit and seen a 5C drop, also the temps went up alot slower and lowered faster also.

It moves the heat through the HS faster.
I lapped my blorb for my vcard too......

A good how-to on lapping is available at www.overclockers.com.au . Just remember that a copper-wrapped nickel plated original Celeron was aided by lapping. Not so the glass slug of modern processors! Unless you have P3E's and kin or Durons/T-Birds by the drawer full, I suggest avoiding putting the wet 'n dry sandpaper to use on them.

The business area of HS's are lapped the same as Celly's used to be. Carefully! Set aside plenty of time for the job, this is a process that you don't want to rush.

SAND PAPER

Tip...............after u get to your desired smoothness turn your paper over and slide it around on the paper surface. U will be able to see your self. personly 1000 or 1200 grit for the new epoxy type bondoes works excellent they don't collect the dust in the poors and the more u use it the finer the grit becomes wash it out and use again and again.

Back