• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's wrong with my 9800pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d94

$30 a phone
i just installed the silencer on my 9800 pro (bought it w/out cooling off classifieds) and when i booted it up i got to windows. then i installed the atitool utility. checked speeds and it said 0/0 :-/
i tried to run 3d then the screen started artificating! i then restarted and it got to the bios screen, froze, and when i rebooted again nothing shows on the screen..
anyone ever had this happen to them???
what can i do to try and get it working!?
is it dead?

-d94

Last edited:
make sure you are making good contact, if not you may have fried the core :( also if you were sloppy with any silver based thermal pastes, you short something out, wipe it all off and apply a thin layer or something

I just hope for the best that it's not fried. When I install the silencer, I always double check for GPU contact before boot it up. That will assure me the core is not burning itself.

it is making good contact! or @ least i think it is...
i looked @ it was flat against the core
possible that im not using enough thermal compound?

The only way to know if it makes a good contact with the GPU is to remove it and see the paste pattern on the heatsink. THe shape of the GPU should imprinted on the Silencer.

Looks can be deceiving.**

Take off your cooler, and check to see that there is a good TIM imprint on both the cooler and the core - a nice imprint on each indicates that you have good contact between the core, and the silencer.

If you have good contact, you want to start right back on base one.

Check the card's molex plug for good contact - also try using a different molex on your PSU.
Re-seat the card in the AGP slot, making sure that the AGP slot retention clip is fully locked into place.
Carefully check the card visually, for any scorch marks, scratches, or rough contact patches that would indicate a small component being knocked off.
Put the stock cooler back on.
Check your VGA cable.
Try the card in a different system.
Put a PCI video card into your system, go into Windows with it, and then see whether the Windows device manager still detects your 9800 Pro.

Some of my suggestions sound simple, but all are easy and common sources of error. I have messed up AGP-video card mounts (that blasted retention clip!), and mis-plugged the card molex plug more times than I can count!

Good luck, my fingers are crossed for you.

i just tried it on a different pc and it didnt work! the core had solid contact w/the silencer and there was no extra thermalpaste on any components...
if the core were fried it would smell, right?
because it doesnt smell @ all..
so is it dead?

Last edited:
i just tried pluggin in a pci card in addition to the 9800 and having the monitor run of pci. when i turn on the computer there is no video coming from it...

have you tryed the pc without the 9800? or are you sure that the monitor isn't fried?? when i fried my monitor it started artifacting horrible, then poof no display, new monitor time for me then!!

it boots fine using onboard. plus i tried putting it into another system

how can i install drivers if there's no image on the monitor and the machine doesnt boot up? :p

Back