• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What power to use for computer assembled in USA going overseas ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mata2974

I have built a computer for a friend here in the US, with parts form newegg and such, he wiil be taking it to Africa, Zimbabwe, specifically, their electric system is similar to England. I think over there they use 220 or 240 Volts, my question is when he gets there he will need an adapter to the power cable plug, now, will he just turn the orange switch at the back of the PSU and that is it or what?.......You guys in England what voltage is your PSU switched to????

Most PSU's can operate either at 220V or 115V. There is a switch next to the power on switch which enables this function.

Too many *itch's in that sentance :D

in the uk mains electricity is 'technically' 240v....atm cos its winter and its cold theyve upped the voltage to around 250v....so make sure you get a psu with active pfc.

i don't think that one has active pfc. since it it not required here in the states. nost ps don't have them. i think its required by law overthere. but even antecs here don't have active PFC. so my guess is that the really really good ones will have them?

Man Oh ma... I dont want this rig to fail there, because my friend is really "zero" about computers, which el cheapo PSU has this feature that will work over there.....? The rig is built around an Abit NF7-2, NForce 2.....????

The PSU in the case will work, but not sure for how long - Powmax isn't too great. It also won't have PFC. You can get by with a passive PFC design, though active would be much preferred. I would look for the Fortron server units, like the FSP460-60PLN or the FSP550-60PLN or PLG - IIRC these all have active PFC by default. The 460w unit is roughly comparable to the AX500 in specs, except the AX500 is passive PFC.

Another brand to consider is Zippy - shouldn't be too hard to find PFC models here. PC P&C may also be able to help you (for a price). Also maybe look through Enermax and Seasonic's offerings.

Back