• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bass for free!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
I was messing around with the computer yesterday, and suddenly a revalation happened upon me. If I turned my speakers around to play into the cabinets they were in, I could get better bass! After playing with the speakers for a while, I finally found a spot that gave me more bass, and kept the high frequencies decently well.

This is a suggestion for those of you out there who still have the speakers that came with the computer (like me), and want more bass out of them. You have to be carefull though, if you move them in some spots, you will loose most of your high frequencies.... And then vocals sound terible.

I'll attach a diagram of my computer desk to show you all how I made it work...
BOOM...BOOM...BASS...
JigPu

Me too cheap for that ;) If I'm going for monster sound, I'll buy some cabiling and hook it up to the surround sound reciever we have. 100 watts of power is way more than enough to make the neighbors mad. All I'm missing is a subwoofer for major rumblage.

JigPu

Hehe thats what I have running on my game machine.

Got 8 speakers surrounding me of all different shapes and sizes. Never knew that reciever from the 80's would prove useful once again.

Want to turn your house into a techno club? Take your home stereo speakers and aim them into a corner of the room, maybe 2 foot from the wall. Crank volume and stand back!:D

Yeah it sounds like butt, but- oh my that's bass!

Sennheiser headphones! The sound. I've owned many a speaker and many a headphone but nothing sounds purer. A friend of mine makes car speaker boxes but nothing he's made has ever sounded better than my Sennheiser headphones. I got my Sennheiser headphones in 1988, two sets, one speaker element blew in one last year but the other is still going strong. How many headphones can preform flawlessly for 13 years? Any other headphones I've had have crapped out after a year or two. I recommend them to all.

reddeathdrinker said:
Why lose anything? Before I got my Live! surround card, woofer and satelite speakers, my SB128 card went straight into my JVC HiFi, which was plenty loud and bassy, without losing the treble.........
Only problem here is that the computer is about 30 or so feet away from the reciever.... Besides, Dad would go insane with all the cabling all over the floor :rolleyes: .

It isn't too bad a sacrifice... If I DO ever want more treble, Winamp allways has the EQ to shore it up! MAN I LOVE EQs!! :cool: :cool:

JigPu

eobard said:
Sennheiser headphones! The sound. I've owned many a speaker and many a headphone but nothing sounds purer. A friend of mine makes car speaker boxes but nothing he's made has ever sounded better than my Sennheiser headphones. I got my Sennheiser headphones in 1988, two sets, one speaker element blew in one last year but the other is still going strong. How many headphones can preform flawlessly for 13 years? Any other headphones I've had have crapped out after a year or two. I recommend them to all.

amen brother! i use my klipsch 4.2's whenever my roommate is gone, but when hes in here i slip on my sweeeeeet sennheiser headfones. best set of cans ever :)

i have a 180 watt velodyne sub sitting behind me

YEAH! Now that's the stuff. usually when I talk about my subs I get blank looks. "Duh, what a Velodyne?"

I have a couple of older 1500s in the studio. When you can't hear it, but you can feel it, you know you're doing it right!

JigPu said:
Me too cheap for that ;) If I'm going for monster sound, I'll buy some cabiling and hook it up to the surround sound reciever we have. 100 watts of power is way more than enough to make the neighbors mad. All I'm missing is a subwoofer for major rumblage.

JigPu

Yea hook that up and play something like Q3A and start going on a fragging spree then your neighbors will really love you.

atm im running my pc into a sansui amp that is a few years old,but cranks
min 80w RMS x2 at 0.005% THD

this is going into a pair of floor standing Studio Acoustics tower speakers (3 ways,2 6" drivers and a 1" tweeter each.120w power handling each) and a pair of yamaha flat panel rear effect speakers (40w each).
soon to be adding a subwoofer,even though this system puts out enough bass to send the people watching the richter scale batty

:)

AmbientFiction said:

Yea hook that up and play something like Q3A and start going on a fragging spree then your neighbors will really love you.
Too bad I don't have any really new games.... I'd just love to hook them up to the reciever after school when no one is home, and everyone is at work... If I could get descent frame rates in Descent 3, I'd be all over making my house sound like it's exploding! Guess Descent 1 will have to do....

JigPu

Kingslayer said:
Ok, now tell me how to get more mid-range.....

Midrange...the bane of computer speakers.

midrange would be my set of boston cr8 speakers sitting infront of me. :D

I have no neighbors anymore! I have a Cerwin Vega ( DX-5 with a 12" bass unit, 4" cone unit and a 1" dome) in two of the corners in my room, and a Jamo sub/sat system with 2x8" woofers, and two satelite speakers for the mid- and high frequency's. And I just LOVE to play my music loud :D :D :D

All this is hooked up with my Fortissimo 2 Sound card. A game like UT is more fun to play with such sound! :)

Yeah, Sennheiser headphones are great, but for less $$$ you can get the Grado SR-80's for around $100. They are awsome.

Back