• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Catalyst 5.3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
glock19owner said:
I am curious on this post also since I noticed a big improvement in 01...about a 300 mark increase...and have had no issues with any games so far...but also not pushing my system real heavy right now until I get a better PSU...

If you were getting 3000 points in 3dMark 01 then a 300 point gain would be 'big'. Around 20,000 and it's simply within margin of error. Not to mention '01 is very system dependant rather than GPU intensive.

Note : Drivers aren't 'good' or 'keepers' just because you gain a few points in a benchmark that both vendors 'optimise' for. Try some games people and see how you fare. Then post some results.

Violator said:
If you were getting 3000 points in 3dMark 01 then a 300 point gain would be 'big'. Around 20,000 and it's simply within margin of error. Not to mention '01 is very system dependant rather than GPU intensive.

Note : Drivers aren't 'good' or 'keepers' just because you gain a few points in a benchmark that both vendors 'optimise' for. Try some games people and see how you fare. Then post some results.

I do reallize this...but going from just a driver change...300 marks is a big increase...that would be almost the same jump as doing the ACPI tweak...

And if you also noticed...I also stated I wasnt pushing my system that hard right now either...so that 300 mark increase could be a lot more once it is OCed...

I am far from a newbie in 01 ;)

300 points is not a big change at all for 3dmark 01 - i can get a 300 point differnce by not rebooting, or rebootin 2 times..... after running the first run or running the program 3 or 4 times in a row.

now, 300 points in 03 or 05 is another story.

For the skilled, 300 points in 3dmark01 is a significant change. Even that amount can be real hard to get when you've got your system squeezed, as I'm sure Glock does.

Not tried 3dmark series or aquamark as yet because i am in need of a fresh install to fix
a few minor problems plus it would benefit my scores a little if i didnt have so much crap
in this install but all my games were working fine until i put this version of the drivers on
and since changing to 5.3's my ut2004 has had a couple of gpf's and deux ex exit's from
game once in a while, :( but when i reverted back to 5.2's it's been all fine!

All in all im gonna stick with the 5.3's just for the hell of it because like i said i do need
a format to be sure everythings working as it should be, :D.

I'm getting ready to reinstall Win XP Pro and was trying to figure out which driver to install for my 9700 pro. I've downloaded the Catalyst 5.3's and the Omega 5.1's but not really sure which way to go. Currently i'm using the Cat 4.9's and haven't had any problems to speak of, with the exception of a little stuttering in HL2. All the other games I play are fine.

Anybody having problems with the Cat 5.3's, or the Omega 5.1 drivers? Any recommendations which way to go?

Thanks
elec.tron

Mr.Guvernment said:
300 points is not a big change at all for 3dmark 01 - i can get a 300 point differnce by not rebooting, or rebootin 2 times..... after running the first run or running the program 3 or 4 times in a row.

now, 300 points in 03 or 05 is another story.

Yeah 300 points isnt big in 3dmark 01, the same with me i lose or gain 300 points with a reboot or when i run the test many times. when i run 3dmark 03 -03 its hard to make 100 points when iv overclock and if i restart the test or reboot i only make or lose about 20 points.

i believe the 5.3 cats are a little faster than the 5.1 omega, can't wait till the new omega's come out

newbie question, but how would u go about installing these? delete hte old one then install the new ones? or am i missing a step or 2?

CanadianTSi said:
I gained almost 250 points in 05...from 19xx to 2171...thats like a 15% increase.

And I gained around 300 in 03

I gained nothing in 03. I actually lost a few points.

ATI, Im still not impressed.

polojoe12 said:
newbie question, but how would u go about installing these? delete hte old one then install the new ones? or am i missing a step or 2?

it is best to reboot into safe mode - then uninstall the driver - reboot into windows - cancel your o/S automatica driver installer when it finds new hardware and then install the ATi drivers

Back