• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Distilled water turning cloudy>?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlanD911

Ok guys this is weird I just setup my first loop with distilled water and after afew hours of it running, the distilled water has turned cloudy. What is the meaning of this atrocity!

What kind of tubing? Maybe that makes it "appear" as though it's cloudy? No additives? Water wetter generally makes your tubes look cloudy.....

Was there possibly something in the radiator your using or anything else? (left over fluids)

Otherwise, I don't really see how distilled water could get cloudy looking unless there is something in the loop other then distilled water........

obsolete said:
What kind of tubing? Maybe that makes it "appear" as though it's cloudy? No additives? Water wetter generally makes your tubes look cloudy.....

Was there possibly something in the radiator your using or anything else? (left over fluids)

Otherwise, I don't really see how distilled water could get cloudy looking unless there is something in the loop other then distilled water........

Its just the regular one that came with the COrsair COOL kit. I dont think it's the tubing since before everything was clear. No additives were added. There are no posibility for left over fluids since this is a new setup.

covana2244 said:
It sound like you still have air bubbles. Let it run for a few hours it should clear up.

I dunno man i've been running it overnight. I'm still running it right now as i'm at school. By the way The waterblock stays so cold with the 120mm fan on it's awesome!

AlanD911 said:
I dunno man i've been running it overnight. I'm still running it right now as i'm at school. By the way The waterblock stays so cold with the 120mm fan on it's awesome!
are you using a t line? If so you could have to let it run for up to a couple days. Try turning the pump off and see if you can see little air bubbles floating in the water if so you still need to bleed. Try turn the pump on then off a few times, and tipping the whole system at different angles to coax the bubbles out.

Did you turn it off & then turn it back on? Air bubbles could explain the cloudyness, but it would be pretty obvious there are air bubbles so I figured maybe a fluid was left in your loop. Seeing other posts by you in the watercooling section I see that you have a prebuilt kit & such is not likely.

Turn it off for a bit, then turn it back on.......

covana2244 said:
are you using a t line? If so you could have to let it run for up to a couple days. Try turning the pump off and see if you can see little air bubbles floating in the water if so you still need to bleed. Try turn the pump on then off a few times, and tipping the whole system at different angles to coax the bubbles out.

No I am using a res not a t line. What do you mean by bleeding? is that just running it and waiting for air bubbles to go away? OK I will try your method and if all else fails i'll just add some hydrx n call it a day lol

obsolete said:
Did you turn it off & then turn it back on? Air bubbles could explain the cloudyness, but it would be pretty obvious there are air bubbles so I figured maybe a fluid was left in your loop. Seeing other posts by you in the watercooling section I see that you have a prebuilt kit & such is not likely.

Turn it off for a bit, then turn it back on.......

Yea I turned it off and on afew times. I think it might be air bubbbles. There seems to be some spare air in the res or so but im not sure have to check it while i'm @ home

AlanD911 said:
No I am using a res not a t line. What do you mean by bleeding? is that just running it and waiting for air bubbles to go away? OK I will try your method and if all else fails i'll just add some hydrx n call it a day lol
Make sure you leave the fill cap off of the res so the bubbles have a way to escape the system, make sure you have some towels around it just in case of spill overs. Also try tipping the res to the side while the system is running and fill the res until you can't get anymore liquid in there. Let it run for a few hours and tip it again and try to put more liquid in. The point is the get it as full as possible so there is no room for air in the lines.
Oh, that is exactly what I mean by bleed.

Oh cool thanks for all of the information! BTW I Found out the source of the nasty tubing. I had put dish washing liquid around the seals when leaktesting last night and it turns out some of it got into the loop. I had to flush everything and unhook everything. Things should be better now tho running another 24 hour marathon leak test this time with hydrx.

Back