• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Guide to the 7v Fan Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
cetoole said:
I assume you mean after removing the pins, so it is quite easy. Before putting the pins back in, you just stretch out the barbs which hold the pin in the housing.

Hey cetoole, great thread, I tried the mod, using a paper clip was able to remove the pins. I had the same problem as the pins would be quite loose, what do you exactly mean by "stretching out the barbs which hold the pin in the housing"...I'm confused to what exactly your talking about, how would I go about doing it? Thanks.

BTW, the mod must have taken less than 60 second, great mod. I did notice a difference.

I figured it out, just used a pin (like for sewing) to push them back out.

Excellent mod! My Computer is soo quiet now.

Excellent guide, I was wondering on how to do this as I am currently building an HTPC, and dont want to have to much sound comming out of it other than the 5.1 ;)

I have my PSU fan which is plenty quiet as well and my CPU also nicely quite, but then there is my dammed intake fan which is 12v and 120mm, sounds likes an F117A.

Ic3d said:
Excellent guide, I was wondering on how to do this as I am currently building an HTPC, and dont want to have to much sound comming out of it other than the 5.1 ;)

I have my PSU fan which is plenty quiet as well and my CPU also nicely quite, but then there is my dammed intake fan which is 12v and 120mm, sounds likes an F117A.

They got any stock fan grills on them? Buy some 12$ tin snips, and cut those suckers off...replace um w/ Wire Grills...I did that just recenlty, it helped a good bit.

BTW, did you get the mod to work?

are LED fans ok to undervolt? i have one LED fan in my side window that i haven't 7v'd yet, and now that the rest are at 7v, i can't stand how loud it is :cool: i have another non-LED fan i can replace it with if necessary, but i'd like to keep the pretty LEDs if i can :)
UPDATE:
LED's still work at 7v and 5v, although noticably dimmer than 12v. i actually prefer them at the dimmer setting :)

Last edited:
ok ive read most of this.but couldnt see anything relating to what i wanna do..
today in the post i got 2 delta 3.00a 190cfm fans.. and they are stoopid loud.. but i knew they would be before i bought them.. is it safe to take them both down to 7v and run them both off the same molex?

EDIT ive taken the deltas down to 5v and they still push lots more air than my current fans.. but the question still remains.. is it safe to use them both on 1 molex.. has the ampage now gone down or up?

Last edited:
I am having a problem running two 7v modded fans.
I can run either one individually but I cannot run them both at the same time. The PSU will not power on. I have Panaflo Ultra High Speed fans and a 600w X-finity 20 pin PSU. If anyone has any suggestions please help. I created a seperate thread in cooling section and will be checking both threads.

Thanks

at 5 volts the amperage is lower than at 12, the same resistance with lower voltage...

as for the psu not turning on, the load between the 5 and 12V rails might be making the power supply freak out, all i could think of would be to put more load on your 5V rail. could do so wiuth resistors, and make a whole bunch of heat and further load your PSU. looks like you'll have to put something in line with the fans and just run at 12V. could use 5 diodes to get like 7V, or just resistors.

Actually the easiest way to mod a 3pin connector

Remove connector, crimp red and black wires from fan into two spare FEMALE molex pins

you can now plug those pins into ANY male molex connector from PSU, passthrough whetever, in any of the above comboes

5v, 7v, 12v

when i have a need to do this thats all i do, it mostly for testing but its the simplest way as you don't need to remake the plugs everytime you want to swap volts. you just plug and play so to speak.
:beer:

TheSonOfX51 said:
Ok, Im using this mod to have all my fans running at 7v in a series. Is that bad?
Will my power supply be affected?

I've been doing this for about a year now, and I haven't seen any problems. What PSU do you have?

I was wondering how to mod the fans and now I know. Thank you for the Post.
d0kcheers.gif

anyone know how to do a 24v fan mod. i have a 24v fan that i would like to put into my case. i heard u can do it using the +12v rail and -12v rail. but i don't know if this is safe.

24v dc-1.JPG
24v dc-2.JPG

Back