• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will My CPU bottleneck a 6600GT AGP 8x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EvilCloudStrife

R. Kelly is my roll model
okay, here is my system i am selling to a friend

1.6 P4 northwood.. Overclocks great!
2100 DDR mushkin memory 512MB
visiontek geforce2 MX400
Antec Case and 350W PSU
7.1 channel soundcard (soundblaster platinum?)
Norcent 16x DVD-Rom
13 gig IBM 2 mb cache 7200
80 gig IBM 2mb cache 7200
Floppy
Abit SR7-8x Motherboard
Stock Heatsink/fan

i am kinda doing the research for him.. i wanna know if i got a 6600GT if this setup would bottleneck the videocard and by how much exactly? i could overclock the ram/cpu.. keep that in mind... thanks for your input

EDIT: and yes, i am talking about the CPU.. Because i was thinking about dropping a 2.6-2.8 in there for like 100-160 more bucks.... but i dont know if that would make a difference... let me know for sure

Last edited:
Yeah running stock FSB it'll be a bottleneck, but get that puppy to 2ghz and you'll be good.

EvilCloudStr said:
EDIT: and yes, i am talking about the CPU.. Because i was thinking about dropping a 2.6-2.8 in there for like 100-160 more bucks.... but i dont know if that would make a difference... let me know for sure

I reckon a faster CPU will make a difference, some if not a lot.

I went from a GF2 GTS (250/400) to a 5900xt, and I noticed a lot of difference performance wise.
But the difference between my 5900xt running at stock (390/700) or 450/820 hardly made a difference in games / benchmarks which utilized the CPU beyond mere graphical calculations alone. (IOW only my 3dm2k3 score increased noticably).
That is with my CPU running at xp1900+ (fsb 143 ... I ought to update my sig), so how much would a P4 1.6 @ 2Ghz + 6600GT differ? A 6600Gt would compared to a 5900xt, but a lot with the difference between my and your CPU?

My opinion: if you got the money whack in a faster cpu and see if you can overclock it even further. But if your friend isn't really into gaming (or not the newest games) I wouldn't bother and leave it all like it is (6600GT but w/o new CPU).

AHHH!! some friend... he backed out.. what a jerk..... i was selling this whole thing for 200 bucks.. i deal if ya ask me

I think it'll be a bottleneck. A P4 running at 2GHz would've been a bottleneck for a 9700 PRO so I think the same would apply for a 6600GT. Perhaps a regular 6600 or an X600 PRO would be a better match for that CPU (both of which would OC quite a bit), otherwise it would be a good idea to upgrade the CPU in order to match the 6600GT.

Back