System restore crashes

When I try to do a system restore, it just crashes. This is on windows xp.

hmm... i wouldn't trust system restore in the first place... why are you restoring? maybe some kinda virus got into ur registry or something =P
    When I logon to Windows, I press Ctrl+Alt+ELITE
    i7-2600 4001MHz @ 39x102.6~ASRock P67 Fatal1ty Professional~MSI N580GTX Lightning 1536MB @ 1000//2400 @ 1.149v~8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24~256GB Samsung 830 SSD and 60GB OCZ Vertex~2x Western Digital Caviar Green 1TBs in RAID1 ~BFG ES-800 PSU
    Custom Watercooling Loop | Apogee GT, MCW82, MCP35x + Res, Thermochill PA120.2 and 120.3 (both rev1) w/ Gentle Typhoon AP-15s pull, 7/16"x5/8" MasterKleer, 100% Distilled Water with Iodine ---All encased in a Silverstone TJ07B-W
    Join in on the fun! Heatware OCForums Metal Club member #13224

Because the computer is giving some serious errors/etc. What can I do other than redo windows?

I hate to give you bad news, but usually when Windows is acting up that much, you should probably back up all your files to CD's or whatever, and then just do a complete reformat and fresh install. Unfortunatly my system has to be reformated every 2-5 months.

I can't think of much you can do other than reformating.

Can you post any of those errors here for us? Perhaps there may be a way to fix them without a reformat.
    Current System:
    XP 1700+ DLT3C 0310 XPMW 185X13.5 = 2.5GHz 1.875Vcore
    Thermalright SLK-900A
    Abit KD7 Via KT400 5:2:1 divider PCI: 37Mhz AGP:92.5Mhz
    3X256+512=1278MB RAM assortment 185Mhz 2.95Vdimm
    ATi Radeon X700 Pro 256mb Core:435Mhz Ram: 475Mhz
    Forton 400 watt PSU
    Black Cheiftec Dragon full side window

Folding User Stats

i would at least try a repair install before i formatted, etc.

you put in the cd and go through it like you're doing a fresh install, (do not go to the repair console, thats not what you want). eventually you'll have to select the partition, if you select the one that its already installed on, it will ask if you want to repair install, do that, it might fix the problem. it doesnt touch any of your programs or files, only system files, so you dont have to back stuff up. if that doesnt help, then format it is.

Have you tried using system restore in safe mode?
    Have you had a zerbert today?

I would first check the HDD for errors, as if its having problems, then before you do any further troubleshooting, you should pull all the data off the drive while it still has life.

I would then run a memory diagnostic, as if the memory was going bad, you could waste your time chasing your tail on this, when all you need to do is replace a DIMM.

I would then look at doing repairs or other attempts on the soft side of things.
    The OC Forums Way
    We are a team. We are a community. We are a fellowship made strong by mutual respect and shared dedication to the task of enriching all who come here.
    The OC Forums Thank You Thread
    Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
    Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.