• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System restore crashes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmm... i wouldn't trust system restore in the first place... why are you restoring? maybe some kinda virus got into ur registry or something =P

Because the computer is giving some serious errors/etc. What can I do other than redo windows?

I hate to give you bad news, but usually when Windows is acting up that much, you should probably back up all your files to CD's or whatever, and then just do a complete reformat and fresh install. Unfortunatly my system has to be reformated every 2-5 months.

I can't think of much you can do other than reformating.

Can you post any of those errors here for us? Perhaps there may be a way to fix them without a reformat.

i would at least try a repair install before i formatted, etc.

you put in the cd and go through it like you're doing a fresh install, (do not go to the repair console, thats not what you want). eventually you'll have to select the partition, if you select the one that its already installed on, it will ask if you want to repair install, do that, it might fix the problem. it doesnt touch any of your programs or files, only system files, so you dont have to back stuff up. if that doesnt help, then format it is.

I would first check the HDD for errors, as if its having problems, then before you do any further troubleshooting, you should pull all the data off the drive while it still has life.

I would then run a memory diagnostic, as if the memory was going bad, you could waste your time chasing your tail on this, when all you need to do is replace a DIMM.

I would then look at doing repairs or other attempts on the soft side of things.

Back