• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win XP Home Edition Upgrade $39

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
exsessive items in stock, as of now will not be avilable online. here in MO xp home is going fast, selling like hotcakes :attn:

i have a quick question...does win xp sp2 make xp pro and xp home the same thing?

like...does sp2 take away the difference btwn xp and home and make it equal?

dalilman52 said:
i have a quick question...does win xp sp2 make xp pro and xp home the same thing?

like...does sp2 take away the difference btwn xp and home and make it equal?

No..XP Pro will still be XP Pro...and visa versa...

can this be used on a new pc? Or do you have to have an older version of windows previously installed? Whats the deal here? :confused:

Corbec said:
can this be used on a new pc? Or do you have to have an older version of windows previously installed? Whats the deal here? :confused:

upgrade versions of windows are just the same except when ur installing all u gotta do is put an old version of windows like 98 or me in the cd drive when it asks for it and it will continue installing like normal xp

From what I have heard, XP Pro (full version) will be the only license of XP that MS will accept for the free XP Pro 64 bit tradeup.

That makes sense.

I wouldn't buy xp home if it was 5 dollars, but I am in IT and highly biased. From what I understand (and this is just something I've picked up along the way), XP home is based on winME, and XP pro is based on win2k. After having worked on both OSes, I can believe it.

Service pack 2 is just an update for the OSes, and it updates according to the OS specs. This has been the way microsoft has updated NT based OSes since, well, NT (NT4 I believe). It never changes the fundemental OS, just the stability and minor features.

I wouldn't buy xp home if it was 5 dollars, but I am in IT and highly biased. From what I understand (and this is just something I've picked up along the way), XP home is based on winME, and XP pro is based on win2k. After having worked on both OSes, I can believe it.
Missinformed!! dont misinform

mata2974 said:
Missinformed!! dont misinform
As I said, just something I picked up, not a blatant fact. I can't prove it, but I can't deny it either :)

Care to prove me otherwise? I would like to know the truth of it actually.

Ah, I googled it and it looks like XP pro and home are both NT based. I stand corrected (and smarter than I was a few minutes ago ;))

Either way, I have noticed some unusual instabilities in XP home after working on hundreds of computers, particularly with networking. And since my company recently upgraded to a domain from workgroups (part of why I was hired, to do this task), all our XP home machines were upgraded to pro.

Main difference I think most users will see between XP home and Pro is when it comes to networking. I think there are also some more administration options in Pro as well. Networking Home (despite their supposedly 'easy to use' networking wizard) is a pain in the arse IMHO. Pro is well worth the money. This deal however is fantastic for those not looking at networking. I am gonna snap one up today if any are still avail.

=ACID RAIN= said:
Ah, I googled it and it looks like XP pro and home are both NT based. I stand corrected (and smarter than I was a few minutes ago ;))

Either way, I have noticed some unusual instabilities in XP home after working on hundreds of computers, particularly with networking. And since my company recently upgraded to a domain from workgroups (part of why I was hired, to do this task), all our XP home machines were upgraded to pro.

Windows 2000 pro is also NT based. There are very few differences between XP pro and XP home, and after SP2 there are even less. Windows 2000 pro just blows now when you download all of the crap from microsoft which makes the load and shutdown times increase 10 fold. 2000 pro IS windows XP in almost every respect except that My Computer is on the desktop and there are no blue bars on the interface.

Back