• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire Atlantis 9800 128MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sir Golitech

North Vancouver, B.C. Canada *Proud of it*
I just recently purchased one of these cards. A much needed upgrade from my mx400 64MB. I have found after playing with it for awhile that the OC capabilities of it are not that great. I have pulled of the HSF and put down AS5 and replaced the fan with a 80mm Mutant Mod.

When I had the HSF off I noticed that I had a R360 core(according to the stamp), but when doing a debug it says R350.....????. The oc capabilites of this card make sence for a R350 core, so why would my core be stamped R360???

I would like to softmod it into a 9800XT(fingers crossed), but I'm affraid it can't do it. The top OC on it that I can get is 398-335, I've read in the softmod guide that you need atleast a 412-365 to softmod. I'm I screwed for doing softmoding?

When I had the HSF off I noticed that I had a R360 core(according to the stamp), but when doing a debug it says R350.....????. The oc capabilites of this card make sence for a R350 core, so why would my core be stamped R360???

I would like to softmod it into a 9800XT(fingers crossed), but I'm affraid it can't do it. The top OC on it that I can get is 398-335, I've read in the softmod guide that you need atleast a 412-365 to softmod. I'm I screwed for doing softmoding?

If your core has R360 stamped on it, then it is an R360 core :).

ATiTool, and all other diagnostic programs, read the core type from the video card's BIOS. Because you have not flashed the card with an XT BIOS, the core is still detected as an R350 by software, even though it is actually an R360 core.

Because you card cannot run stock 9800 XT clock speeds stably, flashing your video card with a stock 9800 XT BIOS is not possible (your card will artifact at stock XT clock speeds).

Now, you aren't missing out on too much, really. All one stands to gain from an XT BIOS flash to their R360 9800 Pro, is slightly higher stock clock speeds (which one can attain through overclocking their Pro, or just manually editing their Pro's BIOS), a semi-useless shader that the R350 does not have, and an innaccurate on-die temperature sensor (your card also needs a 9800 XT PCB, not a Pro PCB, to use the R360's on-die sensor). You also get to see "9800 XT" in the device manager.

However, you can still flash your card to a 9800 XT, if you still really want to.

All you need to do, is find the appropriate XT BIOS for your video card, and then edit it using Radedit (A Radeon BIOS editor) to set the XT BIOS with stock clock speeds that your video card can handle stably. That will pretty much leave you with an underclocked 9800 XT, but a 9800 XT none the less.

That's kind of sucks Golitech. :( I've had my Sapphire Atlantis for a couple of years and it does 452/371 without artifacting. I do bump the voltage up to 1.7 though. (no mods to card)

bummer man.

Back