• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Winnie dying?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dukemurmur

My winchest has just become VERY unstable at volts used to able to run prime for 12+ hours at 2.5 1.61 volts i started to drop the voltage and got it to around 1.56 stable and running prime then last night...prime woldn't even run for a second and it would error...freeze or reboot in 3dmark...i am glad that this is just a hold over chip until Venice hits...btw temps are fine never going above 41...

BUT i would like this damn chip at least stable till then...btw i havn't tested it at stock yet i will tonight.

Dukemurmur said:
My winchest has just become VERY unstable at volts used to able to run prime for 12+ hours at 2.5 1.61 volts i started to drop the voltage and got it to around 1.56 stable and running prime then last night...prime woldn't even run for a second and it would error...freeze or reboot in 3dmark...i am glad that this is just a hold over chip until Venice hits...btw temps are fine never going above 41...

BUT i would like this damn chip at least stable till then...btw i havn't tested it at stock yet i will tonight.

1. Is that Enermax a 20-pin or 24-pin unit? Using an older power supply on the DFI, while functional, can still lead to problems.

2. Have you flashed to the 3-10 official bios? Some say this has turned their experience upside-down (in a good way :))

3. Remember, not all Winchesters are going to run Prime. However, this does not mean that your processor is bad. As long as it's not kicking out of other things, you are good to go. Honestly, I still don't quite understand what you people see in Prime95, as it is nowhere near a definitive means of stability testing.

deception``

deception`` said:
1. Is that Enermax a 20-pin or 24-pin unit? Using an older power supply on the DFI, while functional, can still lead to problems.

2. Have you flashed to the 3-10 official bios? Some say this has turned their experience upside-down (in a good way :))

3. Remember, not all Winchesters are going to run Prime. However, this does not mean that your processor is bad. As long as it's not kicking out of other things, you are good to go. Honestly, I still don't quite understand what you people see in Prime95, as it is nowhere near a definitive means of stability testing.

deception``

It is a 24 pin PSU i know better then that... i have preached it to MANY others...

I am running the 2/17's and those seem to be the best so far...it is not a board issue to my understanding...i have the board undercontrol and dialed in pretty well...

It used to run prime fine...i use it mostly for burn in...and if it will run prime it will do pretty much ANYTHING else...although in the rare case it will prime for hours then boot out of ANY 3dmark test. So it is not a board issue afaik but i will look into it...it just came about ALL of a sudden...i wouldn't be worried if it was JUST prime as i know about not all winnies liking prime...but it is also 3dmark and games to boot...also it is not a mem issue as it is good to about 255 and it is only at 250 so i am kinda lost...i CAN'T RMA it as i took the heat spreader off i could glue it back on and RMA it though as it is REALY nothing that i did to the cpu...i has ran fine and MUCH cooler with the IHS off if anything it has helped (AND NO I DIDN'T CHIP THE CORE) So maybe i will RMA it to newegg...by any chance could i pay the differnce between the 3000 and 3200 and get a 3200? as if i could or was going to do it again that is what i would do so that i can/could run 1:1 on the ram...

IDK maybe i will just RMA it if i can't fugure out what is going on and maybe i will get lucky and get a better stepping to boot.

Duke

this has happened with my cpu also.. ive tried to get volts lower like that and then it isnt stable at the volts before hand

ive done this... originally it wasnt stable at 1.55v at 2.5ghz but then it would lock up so i ran stock at 1.5v and it locked... well i tried lower volts.. 1.25v at stock and it ran all night.. so i slowly moved back up.. and it ran 2.5ghz @ 1.55v.. so i tried the same thing.. ran 1.175v at stock (2.0) and it would run okay.. so id try 2.03 at 1.175v and it would run.. but if i tried running 2.5 @ 1.525v it would run better.. maybe like 4 hours... then id try to run 1.175v at stock again and it wouldnt even get to windows stable...

its very strange but i dont know hwo to explain it.. just keep doing differant things.. running cpu burn in.. or toast or something that wont stop if ur computers unstable.. then try prime and see if it goes farther then it did before.. try differant volts and speeds and such

Dukemurmur said:
It is a 24 pin PSU i know better then that... i have preached it to MANY others...

I am running the 2/17's and those seem to be the best so far...it is not a board issue to my understanding...i have the board undercontrol and dialed in pretty well...

It used to run prime fine...i use it mostly for burn in...and if it will run prime it will do pretty much ANYTHING else...although in the rare case it will prime for hours then boot out of ANY 3dmark test. So it is not a board issue afaik but i will look into it...it just came about ALL of a sudden...i wouldn't be worried if it was JUST prime as i know about not all winnies liking prime...but it is also 3dmark and games to boot...also it is not a mem issue as it is good to about 255 and it is only at 250 so i am kinda lost...i CAN'T RMA it as i took the heat spreader off i could glue it back on and RMA it though as it is REALY nothing that i did to the cpu...i has ran fine and MUCH cooler with the IHS off if anything it has helped (AND NO I DIDN'T CHIP THE CORE) So maybe i will RMA it to newegg...by any chance could i pay the differnce between the 3000 and 3200 and get a 3200? as if i could or was going to do it again that is what i would do so that i can/could run 1:1 on the ram...

IDK maybe i will just RMA it if i can't fugure out what is going on and maybe i will get lucky and get a better stepping to boot.

Duke

You can't RMA it. You overclock it, you void the warrantee. Especially if you take the heatspreader off, you void the warrantee. If you glued it back on, you stand a good chance of it not making proper contact and frying when it gets sold as Refurbished. Plus, that is plain out lying. Don't do it. I am sure there will be many more people here to preach to you about ethics.

I know it is "WRONG" but idk if it will even run stock as of yet...i will try to fool around with it latter tonight when i get home...i might go home sick..i fell like sh*t right now...

u dont need to rma it man.. it will work eventually trust me.. it will stand stable if it was stable on that setting before in the past.. it will again its just very picky.. mine was like that as i said.. im stable with 1.55 again but i stil cant seem to get lower.. im trying hard..

i also amd trying to get it stable at 1.65v @ 2.6 but beside that im trying to get the 2.5 lower first :)

Guys, pumping 1.6+ V into a Winny is asking for trouble, and not really safe. Your ondie controller would crap out anyway, so what's the point?

Smaller die..."safe" voltage for winnes is 1.6 i know that but to run it a little over "really" wont hurt anything if you temps are fine...i had an old 2400 t-bred that i ran at 2.1 volts for the LONGEST time...i am not going to rma the chip as it is stable at stock...but now i can't get over 2.3 with any voltage i am just going to leave it at stock...i haerd that for the cbbid 0503EPDW like mine and some of the other newer steppings past 48 that they are clocking like crap and that is all there is to it...i am just glad that this is a hold over chip...BTW i have a water chiller on the way that might help me out a smidge on the oc -40 water umm COLD!! then that on the venice should be rather nice...

Back