• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why a mini fridge won't work.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
why do you feel the need to jump in here?

and why would you assume i dont know what dielectric grease is?

doesn't anyone think before they reply anymore?
if i wasn't using dielectric grease .. wouldnt you think id have lost the cpu long before the videocoard? which i didnt btw, i got like three drops on it which just shorted the entire system off.

i was slack in insulating the waterhoses. and even then, only at the spot it connected to the waterblock.

and way to go in posting my entire argument to reply to one sentence there guy.

try some forethought, before you hit "submit reply".

I thought about my reply before posting. Here it is:

I'm locking this thread for a day. If the lack of civility continues after I unlock it I will deal with those who continue to act uncivil.

You could just seal your PC with a phase one system. motor/accumulator, rad and power supply are all external in a add on case. you use refrigerant copper tubing to link your heat sinks.you need to seal the system air tight and if any one tells you you cant they need to find a hole to hide in because it has and is being done. install two low pressure one way valves one out one in on your case and flush your PC with dry nitrogen to eliminate condensation from humidity. use plexiglass and RTV silicon sealant to to seal it up.

Last edited:
This is messed up. Who the fudge unlocked it???? Because I haven't been a mod in 3 years.

Well, this is an understandable bump; it IS a sticky after all. Thanks for sharing your thoughts ankhan. :)

eobard, looks like you unlocked it after a day like you said. :thup:

this is probably the best discussion ever, why didn't I ever think of using a mini fridge to cool my stuff! That would have been so awesome if only possible!

If this was 4chan I would assume that was sarcasm. But I don't think it is. I'd suggest reading this sucker over one more time Accessoriesguy.

what about a fish tank full of veggie oil or what ever it is, i see this done all over the net, would fully submerged cooling be best?

Best? Yes, but not in oil. Fluorinert would be the stuff. Have fun buying it though :D

Oil submersion looks fantastic, but its cooling performance is easily beaten with air or water cooling.

that i can't understand, you have 100% contact, like this fat man in cold water.

Oil doesn't transfer heat for beans compared water, and doesn't flow for beans compared to water or air.
The end result is that you're stuck with something that while it can hold/transfer more heat than air, moves very slowly. You can't remove the heat volume required.
Then you have to get the heat out of the oil, which requires slamming it through radiators it really doesn't want to flow through.
Air on the other hand you just dump to the room and grab new constantly.
Water picks the heat up better in the first place and flows quite happily through a radiator to dump it.

Water submersion would be idea, but even non-conductive deionized water becomes conductive quite quickly (seriously pure water will even dissolve glass, it's a horrendously strong solvent. It doesn't stay pure very long!) and causes issues. It's been tested by some brave souls.

it really sucks the submerged setup wont work, as in race cars, "if it looks cool it sucks".

It works for stock clocks, perhaps with a NOFAN C95 cooler, it would (?)
HUGE surface area seems like a good idea for that.

I liked the Prometeia phase change sealed-enclosure coolers back then...Wonder if those would work with modern hardware...

You might as well check the cooling sections here...We got the local guru, Muddoktor, and some decent amount of literature there. It's really interesting stuff!
I even considered studying to become an AC technician lol
Another good site for that is xtremesystems cooling forums...

Back