• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why a mini fridge won't work.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the kitchen sink trick is cheap and easy and works, if you can get the wife out of the house for a day and very little clean up if you get caught. but if you do you get the silent treatment for a week and i never think thats a bad deal.

i have been reading all over this place. and i can prove it.
built my first loop and not one leak.

enough ice and it will cool any beast, palmolive dish soap should make it green enough......

xD lmao

I always wanted to try the Hoot Chute out...go look for that one. Coolest mod ever!
I think that's enough OT goodness in a single thread, we might get some green slaps on the face if we keep it up :p

I'll look that one up, but where do i ask a question about whats in the heatpipes of my air cooler?

Hahaha, you've just done that!
It's normally some form of gas or liquid that's been subjected to a different level of pressure to make the boiling point lower, thus making it turn to vapor with low temps.
-cpu load temps ;)-
That makes the vapor rise through the pipe, radiate it's heat trough the fins attached to it and into the air, to then go back down in liquid state again.

Please don't revive the whole fridge to cool a computer thing. I'm so tired of reading about it. It won't work as the heat output of a computer is greater than what a fridge is designed to cool. Simple, case closed!

If you want to try something, use an airconditioner to blow cold air into the computer. Thats been tried and definitely does work. Power useage would suck though.

They work fine, you just have to be realistic about what you're going to achieve.

Peltier failure is like the most horrid horror story...
And how inneficient and power hungry they can be, putting out double the heat they absorb and more.

Gotta love squirrel cage blowers lol

Take a look at these.
Did they ever develop this tech?

Last edited:
Mini Fridge, no, but why not a full size one? Drill a hole in the side for all of the wires, fill the hole up with superglue or some other type of sealing material and stick the whole case inside =P

Still won't work. The compressor is designed to keep cold things cold, not cool a constant heatload. It will die an early death after extended use.

Damn, there must be a lazy way to achieve extreme cooling...

What about getting one of those window air conditioners and cutting a hole inside of your case so it can cool it that way?

Or what about the freezers that people keep dead bodies in in storage containers? Too much ice and condensation?

QFT! Incredible how people still insist on that idea...

Lazy extreme cooling, hmmm aluminum cpu pot and dry ice. Submerge your board in vaseline...

Last edited:
Lazy extreme cooling is phase change, it's like dry ice or LN2 without pot maintenance; which makes it awesome :D

Back