• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why a mini fridge won't work.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Living in space would help, mount computer on outside of ship, overclock to 10Ghz with no worry of condensation =P ugh

Living in space would help, mount computer on outside of ship, overclock to 10Ghz with no worry of condensation =P ugh

but then there would be no air to pull away the heat so would it end up being hot? weird to think about it that way seeing as they lose heat on earth through convection with the air, in space it would only be heat radiation.

AC ducting straight into a case works great. You don't get subzero, but it's definitely colder.
Turning an AC unit into a water chiller works even better.

Couldn't read through the entire thread, anyone bring up the solution to condensation being vacuum sealing the entire rig/mobo and just sticking it in the fridge with all connections outboard? Standard food vacuum sealer should do the trick no air molecules=space.

The problem is the fridge motor, which is not designed to deal with an active heat load...much less a constant one. Can't cool it, and it will die eventually, pretty fast too.

As for condensation, they used to sell some cases that had a phase change unit inside, and were insulated, sort of like the insides of a fridge. (Vapochill)

That whole Window AC blowing into your case sounds like an amazing idea, lol, especially for those damn GPUs that get so hot...

It's been done often. Works great.
Just be careful about condensation when you turn the AC unit off.

I use a mini as an enclosure. I smoke like a freight train, and we all know what that does to a pc! I made some holes for my cables, cut a really big hole in the door, attached a K&N air filter to the outside, and a 6in-400 cfm fan to the inside.....Set that close to the window air conditioner, cool SMOKE FREE pc:)

How about putting a 10lit or bigger water container in fridge?!!;) then plum it to pc;P chilled pc!!! Ice cooled alnostP

That would delay the time it takes to 'not work', sure. Eventually, that water will warm up, and the compressor in the fridge would struggle to keep up and, at some point, die.

I am thinking of getting a mini fridge and putting the water reservoir in it and maybe the fans and radiator do you think it would work?

a mini fridge is just not going to work, the window a/c evaporator in a res of water will do an awesome job.

Here's one for a wicked chiller system but it's a long thread. Be warned :) Just click here

If you guys want to build a computer in low ambient temperatures then you have to have an enclosed space... With a system placed in a low temp environment moisture is the first problem we have to elimante. That's done by having a environment that does not have new air introduced into it?

Good thread. might I add some input, perhaps advise?

The selection of cooling should be determined by what exactly you are trying to cool with it. For example, the mini fridge. It is said it won't work.... But it COULD work.

Can you cool an overclocked 4770K with a mini fridge? Nope. Can you cool a Athlon 64 LE-1660? Yep!

So in reality, it's wrong to say you can't do something with a mini fridge. It really depends on the processor output.

How about a silly question! Can you cool a processor without a heatsink and only a fan on the IHS plate? Yep! I've done that too. Take that Athlon LE-1660 for example. It's a 45W processor. multi of 14x200. 2.8ghz. Well I didn't exactly get that number. I started with low P-state voltage and frequency. Got as high as 2ghz on less than 1.2v. But it's doable.

You should also mention the fact that many minifridges do not even run with compressors, they use TEC's which makes them even less powerful for PC cooling.

This is true for some mini fridges. Mine uses alcohol actually and can run on 12v, 120v and propane. It's basically a camper mini fridge designed to cool something that doesn't produce heat. It does have the capacity to cool the Athlon LE-1660.

There's a lot of things that determine the chilling capabilities. So we can't just go around saying this or that will not work. We can say it may not work for such and such applications.

This would be helpful to have a list added somewhere. What processors CAN I cool with a mini fridge and which one that cannot.

My 2 cents. I've tried a lot of different applications concerning cooling chilling, over and underclocking through the years. Have had plenty of success.

Here's a good read about TEC chilling with FX processors. I don't think of it as a success, but more of a fun experiment. http://classicplatforms.com/main/forum/viewtopic.php?f=200&t=8319

How about just putting the reservoir, or radiator, into the refrigerator? Say perhaps through hole cut into the side then resealed.
Would this work/help reduce temps? Curious.

Back