• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recover data for exchange?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhoenixMDM

Piano Man
I'm working on fixing a local company's server, a windows 2000 adv server box, and somehow they got some nasty virus that seems to have killed the boot sector and most of the windows files. I can get in with knoppix, and cd burning works, so i'd like to try backing up everything I can before i nuke the drive.

I've got the website stuff backed up and it seems safe, but I don't know how to grab the stuff for their Exchange server. I'd like to back up all the users emails and calendars and stuff, and it'd probably be easiest if I could recover the user accounts/passwords file, that way i could set up exchange on the reformatted machine and drop the useraccount and email files where they belong. Also, having over 40 people reset their email passwords usually doesn't result in happy customers :p

Any pointers on how I can find this stuff?

What version of Exchange?

Were they running AD? Do they have any current backups?

Exchange 2000, no backups since they thought raid mirroring would suffice, but whatever hit hit both copies. Having a brain cramp, what's AD?

David, that link helps a little. Considering the server has data in both C:\exchsrvr and C:\Program Files\exchsrvr, I now know which folder is correct at least. Must have had an older version and upgraded.

I'm still hesitant to copy the contents of that entire directory, since usually that doesn't work. I'm hoping dropping the appropriate user data and account files in the right places after a fresh install will make things right. And if not... Well, I don't wanna think about that, they're already pretty po'ed that they didn't properly back stuff up, telling them no mail stuff could be saved wouldn't help the situation all too much.

Nope, no AD.

I've decided to back up the whole folder... Burning to CD and dumping onto my personal server now. That way I can get to work rebuilding this thing so it's up and running sooner.

Does it seem like what I want will work smoothly? I know that this kind of tactic doesn't usually work, but I figure it's better than nothing.

Back