• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7-G USB 2.0 Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Ok this is for the system in my sig. I got a Antec Super LanBoy case. I have my front USB ports hooked up to the mobo, but every time I use my USB Flash Drive it says you can hook it up to a USB 2.0 for faster speeds. Well its true because at work it zooms when transfering things to it, but at home its a dog.

I thought, and I looked at abit site, that the board had all USB 2.0 headers. 4 in the back on the mobo and 2 connections (with 2 per connection) on the mobo inside the case.

I just ordered stuff for a USB external drive (the case and the drive) so I can backup stuff and ease of use when doing a full install (mainly keeping up to date drivers and all installed items on this drive). So I wanted to use the front USB ports on my computer (although having it in the back isn't so much of an issue just perfer the front).

But anyways I was wondering if anyone has had this issue, or is it the USB connectors on the front of the Super LanBoy case not USB 2.0 compatable?

Oh yes all drivers and such are up to date.

Last edited:
Well, just to rule this out real quick, you must have @ least service pack 1 installed. For my abit max3 board, thats how i supposedley implement usb 2.0 but i have no 2.0 devices to verify that it works.

Got SP2, and besides that USB2.0 works fine if I plug it in the back with the ones on the back panel.

electric sheep said:
I'm fairly certain that the headers on the mobo are USB2. Maybe the cables that came with your case are USB1.1?

Well according to the doc on Abit Site it is. As for the cable thing, guess thats what I need to find out, but I thought the cables where the same for both USB 2.0 and 1.1? Only difference was the chipset controlling it.

I just checked my mobo manual. The two headers are referred to as USB1 and USB2, but they are both USB2.0 ports.

There is a difference between the cables used by the two specs. You will need to use USB2 cables for USB2 ports / devices. So, that's my only theory regarding your problem.
Good luck!

Doh oh well guess I gotta crawl under my desk to hook it up..

Wait nm lol I got like 10 extra USB A->B connectors, that should do. Oh well at least I know why the front USB ports complain when I plug a USB 2.0 device in. Thanks for the help.

Well got it working at 2.0 speed. It wasn't the cables that was causing the issue. I decided to uninstall all the USB devices on the computer and let windows redetect them. Well what do ya know its working correctly now so it must of been a driver issue, yet all the drivers where the up to date ones. Same dates on everything, so something must of gotten confused when it was installed.

Oh well I'm happy now :)

Back