• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My M-Audio Revolution 7.1 doesn't work with my K8N Neo2 Platinum!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OLMI

I recently bought an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 for the computer in my sig. I followed every instruction exactly for the driver and card installation. First, I install the drivers, until it says to shut down and install the card. I do that, then boot up again, and it prompts me to install drivers. I go through the motions, but instead of "device installed successfully," I get an error reading "error code 10: the device cannot start."

I've tried EVERYTHING, including:

Trying both available drivers
Every PCI slot with each driver
Completely reinstalling windows

After all of these, I sent the card back to M-Audio. They couldn't find anything wrong with it, but they still sent me a BRAND NEW ONE. At first, my computer just didn't start, even after clearing the cmos. I took the card out and it did, then I put it back in, and it didn't work! I took it out again, and it worked again. I changed some basic bios settings (nothing relevant - first boot device, overclocking settings, etc), and for some reason, I put the card in again and it worked.

The same thing happens every time I try to install it. I don't think it's a problem with the audio card, I think it's a problem with my motherboard.

I bought this over a month ago, I've tried EVERYTHING! Any suggestions?!

Do you have a gun? Hold it to the board and tell it, "If you don't work right you're one dead mother!" :D
Seriously, these MSI boards have difficulty recognizing anything. I have an optical drive and a floppy that I refer to as The Phantom's of the Motherboard because they mysteriously come and go with each new reboot. I have a professional soundcard for recording music. I had no problem with it being recognized but a big problem getting it to record without my system freezing. I did finally get it to work by uninstalling everything and reinstalling it in the orange pci slot. Something else I would try is not following directions. (I frequently do that without trying) Since windows wants to install the drivers after it's in the system, then I'd try it that way and install the hardware without putting in the drivers first. Also, if you have any other pci cards, which you may not these days, I'd uninstall them and then install this new card first to let it get whatever IRQ it wants. Speaking of IRQ'a do you have everything you are not using disabled in the bios? This includes serial ports, paralell ports, sound, modem, etc. This card of yours sounds like it needs a lot of resources and you don't want to waste any on things you don't use.
Well, good luck with it. I have been in that same situation and I know it's frustrating, but I bet you can do it. Now get in there, Rocky, and show'em what you're made of! :clap:

Disabled parallel port and serial port thingy and got it workin in the orange slot. Thanks :)

Sigh, I'm having problems with it again :( It worked last night, I shut it down to sleep. I wake up in the morning, turn it on, still works. Then, I decide to go screw it in all the way, so I shut it down, screw it in, and then turn it on. Now it "won't start" again...

Any ideas now? :(

Eeek! That was my best shot. On my board I have a floppy and optical drive that come and go with each boot. Outside of rebooting and crossing your fingers I'm not sure what to try. Well, I poor mouth MSI on a regular basis, but they do have a hlpfyl support department. You may want to try them. Good luck with it.

Back