• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How long does it take?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Terminat.

How long - on average - does one data packet take to complete?

I just installed SETI@Home on my server today (2500+ Barton with 512MB PC3200 DDR.)

So far it has done 12% in two hours.

This seems very slow, but is it around normal speed for a SETI data packet? 2500+ isn't that old a processor, so why's it taking so long?

data packet? is that like a group of workunits?

it don't sound right... have you looked for updated versions?

Thanks for the reply :)

Is this the latest version of the software? This is where I downloaded SETI from: http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/...a huge difference? It'll be a pain to change.

You should definitely make the switch to BOINC if you are a new user. The one you downloaded is "classic" and will be shut down within the next few months.

12% for 2 hours does seem a little slow to me - however my experience is not high at all for AMD procs. I have one AMD on my account, an Athlon 64 3500+ that is averaging about 2 hours 15 minutes for a single work unit (it is slightly overclocked).

Hopefully some of the major AMD crunchers can respond and give their thoughts.

Hope that helps!
Enk

EDIT: It is also worth noting that you may have just received one of the "big work units" - I used to have machines that would average about 6 hours and would every once in awhile get a work unit that would take 10 hours.

Are you running the screensaver with the classic version? It uses a lot of CPU resources to display it and could cause it to run so slow. An XP 2500 will usually do a work unit in around 3 hours without the screensaver part running.

I'd definitly switch to the BOINC version of SETI, if everything goes right at Berkely over the next month, they plan on pulling the plug for classic.

http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/
March 17, 2005
In preparation for shutting down SETI@home Classic (in about 1 month, hopefully) we're trying to make sure that SETI@home Classic accounts are linked to the proper SETI@home/BOINC account. This is a bit complicated because of email address changes. See our current transition plan.

Thanks again for the replies.

Okay - I'll switch over to BOINC in the next few days. But will I lose all my cpu-time, work units done etc? Or is all that data stored on the SETI website, then downloaded into the new software. How does it work?

Well depending when you signed up for classic SETI, you maybe able to register your old account on the SETI BOINC page. If not, just use the same email address, and I believe Berkely when they shut classic down will be updating everyones accounts to show there classic work unit counts.

You will lose progress on your current work unit since BOINC cannot pickup on classic work units due to the way BOINC sends them out.

Once you register for the BOINC version of SETI and get it installed its pretty easy to get it going. If you have any questions were here to help.

Also click BOINC in my sig to learn of the other projects we currently are running through BOINC.

Well, I downloaded and installed BOINC, but now there's another problem...

It just continually says "connecting to... (BOINC website)" and then says "insufficient data received" before "deferring communication for xxx minutes."

This just keeps going on and on. Do I need to set something up or what?

It takes a while to get the connection and fill your cache, once that's done then it should run pretty steady. This link shows the status of the servers and they seem to be up and running so it should just take a little time: http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah_status.html

No, I'm pretty sure SETI's down. The BOINC manager just keeps saying "failed to find schedules" or whatever in red. I checked the messageboards on the BOINC website, and although the servers are all green - something's not working. There are complaints of failed downloads/uploads all over the site.

So I downloaded einstein@home for the time-being, and that's running fine.

But what happens when SETI gets working, and einstein@home is running at the same time? I use the screensaver, so what will it do? Does it split the screensaver into two or something - one side for SETI, one side for einstein@home? What happens?

Only one project will run, all others will be paused.
There are some problems with servers I cant connect either :-/
Oh and welcome to BOINC :welcome:

Terminat. said:
No, I'm pretty sure SETI's down. The BOINC manager just keeps saying "failed to find schedules" or whatever in red. I checked the messageboards on the BOINC website, and although the servers are all green - something's not working. There are complaints of failed downloads/uploads all over the site.

Yup, they're down. I have been unable to upload or download since yesterday. As a result, my hyperthreaded machines have resumed Einstein, since they are running out of SETI work units. Overclockers teams are available for all of the other BOINC projects, and we encourage you to join them as well since different projects may have issues like this at different times.

As far as CPU times, my Athlon 2500+ laptop at stock speed does SETI WU's from about 3 hours and 15 minutes to 3 hours and 45 minutes. My Athlon 2400+ clocked at 2.1 GHz gets them done in right around 3 hours. Your mileage may vary, but that's a rough estimate. If they are taking longer, try to investigate what other programs may be hogging CPU cycles, since BOINC will always defer to other programs.

Terminat. said:
Well, I downloaded and installed BOINC, but now there's another problem...

It just continually says "connecting to... (BOINC website)" and then says "insufficient data received" before "deferring communication for xxx minutes."

This just keeps going on and on. Do I need to set something up or what?

Sorry to see you came in to Boinc at a bad time :( For now while seti is down ; there is however several cross-pojects that you could run and that would be Einstein@home ; there are many others as well . Einstein is not down and is up and running . If you need any help please let us know. And welcome to Boinc :)

Yeah, for now I'm just running einstein@home.

So now - how long on average does a work unit in einstein@home take? It predicts between 7-9 hours for all the work units: is that normal for a 2500+ Barton on einstein@home? And are all units as long as this on einstein@home, or are some shorter like on SETI? This is all done in screensaver mode.

Thanks for all your help so far :)

Yep, 7-9 hours is about right for an einstein unit on a 2500+ Barton, I've got several of them at work running it.

Glad you got it up and running, were making a lot of progress with our Einstein division.

Back