• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual with ddr

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dymensia3d

I'm getting ready to smack down some money for upgrading my old pent 233mmx dually to a new dual board. Been looking for a pent 3 board with DDR memory, socket 370, for 2 1 gig cpus. Dont care much for onboard extras like lan or sound but maybe raid is o.k. Considering a tyan 2507d or abit vp6 mentioned in another thread, but don't seem to be finding any with DDR memory support. Any suggestions ? Thankzx...
John

The only motherboard with dual PIII and DDR support is the Iwill DVD266.

The performance increase of a dual mobo with DDR over a SDRAM mobo is only around 3-5%. This is because of the architecture of the PIII chip. If you want to read a little more check this or this or this.

If after all this you still want to buy a dual PIII mobo with DDR support, Iwill just release a new revision of this mobo, the DVD266u-RN that:

1.-Changes the location of the power connection.
2.-Adds AGP Pro Suport.
3.-Includes RAID, Ethernet and 6 channels Sound Processor.

If you find someone whos selling it right now, drop me a note, please.

dual/ddr

Thankzx Mictlan, that was a good read, very informative. I'm in the same boat as you. Looking for a good dual p3 board. I might go for a single cpu p4 though or maybe an athalon 1.4 with ddr. I do primarily 3-d rendering and animation/graphicks as a hobby with some gaming too. I guess dual & ddr are out of the question. Any good hits on dual motherboards? Are you considering athalon?
John

If you really want to go dual, then you should consider the PIII dual mobos. Athlon MP is just comming out and its a little bit slower than a PIII setup. In cost they around the same price. A dual PIII 1.26-S will cost around $500 + the mobo $200 thats $700. If you want a dual Athlon 1.2 MP they are around $350 + the mobo $300. If you can get the next Tyan Tiger MP mobo thats $200.

As you see they cost around the same.

If you prefer a single CPU solution, seems that Athlon is the way to go. You could try an 1.4 266 Athlon with a KT266A mobo and be happy with it.

If money is not a problem, I'd prefer Intel. A P4 with DDR333 might be a good solution, but we'll have to wait for SiS to release its chip and see how well they design it. VIA chipset seems OK and even Intel RIMM solution might be worth it. A Northwood with the PC1600 RIMMs might be a good. But you'll have to wait at least until the holidays to get a clear picture of all this.

dual/ddr

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the dual p3 1 gig. I can get board for just over 100.00 and each cpu for 200.00 local, no online company. I really don't have alot of money to burn, as I still will need to get ram, video, hd and case/psu. On the other side I can get a decent athalon board for 100.00 thereabouts or less and 1.4 cpu for 125.00. I'm agonizing over which way to go....
Thankzx again.
John

I would get a dual board with FCPGA2 support. That way when the Tualtins get cheaper, I just sell the old PIII chips and get Tualtin power.

I really want a dual setup. Also try to get a mobo that can be overclocked. If the computer will be used as a workstation-home PC thats it.

Imagine PIII 1.266-S@150 MHz FSB=1.4 GHz=4 h WU per CPU=16 WU per day.....I'll be a very happy cruncher.

If I were gonna buy a dual Pentium III board right now I'd get one that supports Tualatin. The Iwill DVD266u-RN that Mictlan linked to looks like one of the more promising ones. I believe supermicro also has a Via dual P3 board that supports Tualatin but I believe it only uses regular Sdram. It's the P3TDDE. You can see it here.

Really at this point there isn't much of an upgrade path for a Pentium III motherboard that doesn't support tualatin and even for the ones that do there may be a limited upgrade path. Intel is probably gonna start pushing the P4. That's their core of the future. If you want a dual P4 solution your cheapest option is the supermicro P4DCE which is around $500. The P4 Xeon motherboards tend to be just a little bit pricey. The cpus themselves aren't really that expensive though. The 1.7Ghz P4 Xeons are now going for right at $300 on pricewatch.

Last edited:
Back