• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions/Opinions on Building Entire PC for $1K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobmanfoo

Disabled
im currently in the process in piecing together a new pc for my bro-in-law, he wants to spend around a grand for everything, so far this is what i have:

$135 -cpu - a64 s754 +3000 DTR (is multi locked?)
$107 -mobo - DFI nF3
$110 -ram - 2x512 twinmos non-sp UTT
$244 -videocard - 6800nu
$ 25 -powersupply/case (antec case w/ 350w psu)
$ 50 -speakers/mouse/keyboard - haven't looked into
$100 -hdd/dvd burner-**
$200 -LCD-**
=
$971

any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks for looking

Last edited:
I think that your pricing is a little off
The hard drive and a dvd burner is not going to be that cheap if you want any space at all IMO
Also that psu that comes with the case is going to be really bad, and it could kill your comp altogether, spend the cash and get a better one
I would let your brother pick the keyboard and mouse, they dont cost too much and he could pick one that suits him best
Dont forget shipping!

lol, heard of slickdeals or fatwallet? 120-160gb 8mb/cache hdd's could be had for less than $40 easy, same for the dvd burner

as for the PSU from the antec case, i was under the impression that antec were ok PSUs but not great, definitely nowhere near powmax quality right? my backup rig has been running a 300w psu that came with the case just fine, rails as nice and stable, and my bro has been running the same one with no problems

keyboard and mouse- bro-inlaw is 35+ years old with 2 kids , so i don't think he'll be picky about them, well definitely not the keyboard... i might just give him one of my extra dell KBs, ill probably just tell him to go to bestbuy and find a mouse he likes and ill just order it on the net...im leaning towards the mx500 or mx310 though

thanks for the reply

well just order the geil 1gb 130$, but thanks for the suggestions aeiou! will probably end up going 939 then, the only thing he specified that he wants is an LCD

Back