• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xp activation woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
captainamer71 said:
:shrug: WHAT IS THE DEAL THAT IS RUDE AND WRONG TO JUST ASSUME SOMEONE WANTS TO DO SOMETHING ILLEGALLY. MAYBE THEY THOUGHT THERE WAS ANOTHER WAY TO DO IT LEGALLY.

TRY NOT TO ASSUME SO MUCH.

well if you seen the version before he edited it you would know.. but i guess you didnt and you were the one who assumed..

crazy huh.. but if you read the original you would undertsand.. :bang head

aeiou said:
I know, i know... I don't want to break the law. The thing is I DID buy 2 completely legit copies of windows and now I can only use one of them because of a bad implimentation of drm, imo.
What does DRM have to do with it?
YOU broke the CD.
If you bought a car from Ford and then crashed it, would you expect them to replace it just because you had the VIN?

I don't mean to be callous, Lord knows that MS pulls enough crap to be legitimately called on, but this was your fault, not theirs.
I see this several times a week at work and I'm always amazed at the cavalier and careless way people treat their Windows discs and licenses.

If you can't afford a new copy of Windows, then maybe you and your sister could split the cost? Makes the burden a bit easier on everyone and it's legit.

clocker2 said:
What does DRM have to do with it?
YOU broke the CD.
If you bought a car from Ford and then crashed it, would you expect them to replace it just because you had the VIN?

I don't mean to be callous, Lord knows that MS pulls enough crap to be legitimately called on, but this was your fault, not theirs.
I see this several times a week at work and I'm always amazed at the cavalier and careless way people treat their Windows discs and licenses.

True, he broke the CD. But, he does have a legitimate product key. I would call newegg, and ask if it's possible to get a replacement CD. Not the product key, just the CD.

One of the major reasons I keep multiple copies of all the software I purchase, media will go bad given enough time.

Microsoft will provide you a copy of your retail OS just call 800-MS-PRESS but they will not give you a copy of an OEM disk. OEM copies are bound to the PC they are sold with and can not be transferred.

If newegg will not send you a replacement CD you could always "change" your retail version to OEM and then use your "legit" OEM Key to install. As a sysadmin I myself have had occasions to need to change a physical copy to a different version so I can do an emergency install. As it is this does not bypass activation, you will still need a good key.

I won't detail the how here just to be on the cautious side but google setupp.ini for your answer.

Back