• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xp activation woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aeiou

This story starts with my sister getting her own computer. She wanted to put XP on it, so I got an oem version of windows from newegg to save some money. We got it all installed an everything was fine, right? Well, a little while later, that computer died and we decided to build her a brand new one. In the mean time, the oem XP cd broke :( . When I tried to install with my retail disc and her serial number and found out that retail discs don't work with oem serial numbers! I grudgingly let her use my serial number to activate. Everything worked fine up untill a couple of weeks ago. My computer was having some troubles and I had to reinstall windows. When I did it said that my installation had been installed too many times and that I would have to call microsoft or enter a new sn. I didn't want to call them, even though they could probably get it working, because it is actually on 2 computers and I just don't want to go there.

I'm looking for any way to get this installation to work. I would like to be able to get a new oem cd since we have a sn we can use and would be perfectly fine, but is there any way, also to find something to get me going right now? I have 23 days left on the instalation before the activation period is up. If worst comes to worst, I can hopefully just get a new disc and I may have to reinstal on one of the computers. Any help would be apprieciated.

Last edited:
well best bet is to...

A. go through microsoft
B. buy a legit copy

and option C. is a must

C. Dont bring that crack'tivation talk around here ..

WRONG PLACE BUDDY !!

lol - u are admitting to priating software - that license is for 1 computer only - if you have proof of reciept can newegg not replace the cd? Just stop being so lazy and call MS is what u should of done in the first place.

and yes, takk of searching for cracks and such is not allowed here and it also is not as easy as you may think anyways.

I know, i know... I don't want to break the law. The thing is I DID buy 2 completely legit copies of windows and now I can only use one of them because of a bad implimentation of drm, imo. I just need some help... I know what microsoft is going to say- "We're sorry... We can't help you.. Please buy another copy of windows for $100 so we can inflate our egos even more!!" I don't have money to burn on extra copies of windows and I do want to do eveerything legit. Sometimes it seems that they force you into breaking their piracy protection.

never thought of calling newegg.... Wonder if they could handle it....

(note- original post edited)

no microsoft wont tell you that .. have you already called them >?

if you have a legit copy but have installed to many times than you simply tell them that you have uograded systems many times and need new key ..

that simple.. they will ask you your key and other questions but they wil gove you a new key if you call..

i doubt newegg will do anything ..

yeah... they also ask how many computers its installed on (i've had to call before) and I'm too honest to say that it is on anything but the amount it is on (2 currently), so I don't think they would... I guess I just have to find a new oem cd somehow....

aeiou said:
yeah... they also ask how many computers its installed on (i've had to call before) and I'm too honest to say that it is on anything but the amount it is on (2 currently)

but you'll look and try cracks .. lol whatever man ..

aeiou said:
yeah... they also ask how many computers its installed on (i've had to call before) and I'm too honest to say that it is on anything but the amount it is on (2 currently), so I don't think they would... I guess I just have to find a new oem cd somehow....

Well good for you, there you go buy another copy..... :)

I know, I'm kind of silly sometimes, but I guess I just figured that I did pay for both computers to run, but now they can't and without reinstalling on the other computer (probably will have to happen anyways, eventually), so what was the harm? Anyways, we're past that stage. I guess the biggest problem is just getting a new cd. I'm building a new computer for someone at work soon, so maybe.... hope it happens soon enough, though.

do you still have the original ke for the OEM version ? MS can send u a cd i beleive for cost of shipping ?

Mr.Guvernment said:
do you still have the original ke for the OEM version ? MS can send u a cd i beleive for cost of shipping ?

How would I go about doing that? I didn't think they would ever be willing to do that. I do have that key, which is why I want to get it all straightend out.... Not trying to brake the law, just was pretty much the only option short of buying a new copy (sorry, I don't have the money to spend for 3 copies of windows for 2 computers).

Yeah, I think there is like a 7.95 rplacement fee(number just popped in head haha) I saw that once on their site I think it was. I would however just call them up and tell the the pc screwed up and I had to reinstall. Its good to be honest but 100 bucks for something you own is a little much.

tenchi86 said:
Yeah, I think there is like a 7.95 rplacement fee(number just popped in head haha) I saw that once on their site I think it was. I would however just call them up and tell the the pc screwed up and I had to reinstall. Its good to be honest but 100 bucks for something you own is a little much.

Exactly my point. I think I will try to find out about that replacement.... 7.95 is reasonable, I guess.

Xtreme Barton said:
is this pro or home also ??

Both are home.

I just got off of the phone with Microsoft. They told me exactly what I thought. "If you can't get a new cd from the person you bought it form (since it is oem), you need to buy a new copy." Yup. Definately not doing that. I will try calling newegg, maybe, but I don't know if they can help, either.

Thats wierd could of sworn I saw that replacment thing before. Any way good luck with new egg and if all else fails just call them and tell them you just reinstalled windows because it messed up and you need a code.

Yeah, they said that if it was a retail version they would send it to me, but since it is oem, I have to go to whom I bought it from. Newegg isn't the kind of place they had in mind, I don't think.

Xtreme Barton said:
well best bet is to...

A. go through microsoft
B. buy a legit copy

and option C. is a must

C. Dont bring that crack'tivation talk around here ..

WRONG PLACE BUDDY !!

:shrug: WHAT IS THE DEAL THAT IS RUDE AND WRONG TO JUST ASSUME SOMEONE WANTS TO DO SOMETHING ILLEGALLY. MAYBE THEY THOUGHT THERE WAS ANOTHER WAY TO DO IT LEGALLY.

TRY NOT TO ASSUME SO MUCH.

Back