• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monolith: A work in progress

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Agreed... it's just too easy to screw up, and then, Bam, dead cable. Especially with the Ultra 66/100 cables. By the time I got a good one trying to do it myself, I would have spent as much on all the cables I had cut wrong that I could have just paid for machine rounded cables...
Peace
John

I agree with you guys with regard to ATA 100 cables. Too many wires. I bought one of those: silver mesh & clear boots from Sidewinder...I love it.

However, sometimes it actually makes sense to make your own. For example, in my case, my floppy is about 6 inches from the mobo connection, so I just hacked up an old floppy ribbon by cutting off the ends and taking off the old 5 1/4 connectors. Separated the wires, rolled it up, can't beat that. If I were to buy a round floppy, it would be way too long.

As promised, more pictures. Keep in mind that I was modifying the case as these pictures were taken, so you may see things in some photos that aren't there in others.

Cheap hard drive cooling. When the tray is closed, the two fans blow on the hard drive cage.

A better view of the top blowhole, now Panaflow powered. The side blowhole you'll see later has this same basic design except that the fan blows the other direction.

Bottom intake. This is much stealthier than a front-panel installation, and if I screw up it's not visible from outside. I messed up a bit drilling the screw holes but the faucet washers cover that. This makes 3 Panaflow 120's in my system: The bottom and side intakes, and the top exhaust. :)

Another view of the bottom intake. This also shows how you can mount a 92mm fan to cool the expansion cards without drilling any holes. I had to take out the 92 to make room for the side panel 120 though.

An odd angle, to be certain. If you look down just below the PSU fan you can see the 92mm intake in the same place as on Kingslayer's case. The two 80mm holes at the top are empty at the moment; the new fans should be arriving here Monday.

The front panel and the mobo side. There's no Evil Inside sticker there because I repainted the front shortly before this photo was taken. I have since placed a blue sticker where the old one was.

I like you mods!!!

I noticed you painted your drive face plates,
How did you paint them?
Wouln't it chip easily?

I know already how to take the faceplates off...But how did you paint those face plates?

YMAN said:
I like you mods!!!

How did you paint them?
Wouln't it chip easily?

I know already how to take the faceplates off...But how did you paint those face plates?
Spray painted them with black enamel paint. I'm not too worried about chipping the paint since that part of the computer isn't liable to run into stuff. :p

And thanks. :)

YMAN said:
I like you mods!!!

How did you paint them?
Wouln't it chip easily?

Spray painted them with black enamel paint. I'm not too worried about chipping the paint since that part of the computer isn't liable to run into stuff. :p

And thanks. :)

I have got to tell you how much your project has inspired me. I spotted one of those Supercases in the local shop, with PSU, for 60 some dollars.

I have been thinking about it ever since. I love the wheels. I just need to gather a few more funds before jumping in...

With all of those fans, (I love 'em) how loud is it? Also, how cool? I see you have PIII, I am sure mine would be warmer.

I am thinking 2 120's on the top (blowing out), 1 on the bottom and 1 on the side (sucking in). I might need 2 psu's, considering the one that comes with it is probably only marginal...I have some cheapies around.

What psu do you have?

Sorry for the Q's but your case rocks, and I appreciate advice from a master like yourself.

great mod the 120mm Panaflos aren't very loud for 95-110cfm of air. that case is very nice! I really like kingslayers as well. I still need to finish my window mod and then I will start a thread like this with my three modded monsters.

flounder43 said:
I have got to tell you how much your project has inspired me. I spotted one of those Supercases in the local shop, with PSU, for 60 some dollars.

I have been thinking about it ever since. I love the wheels. I just need to gather a few more funds before jumping in...

With all of those fans, (I love 'em) how loud is it? Also, how cool? I see you have PIII, I am sure mine would be warmer.

I am thinking 2 120's on the top (blowing out), 1 on the bottom and 1 on the side (sucking in). I might need 2 psu's, considering the one that comes with it is probably only marginal...I have some cheapies around.

What psu do you have?

Sorry for the Q's but your case rocks, and I appreciate advice from a master like yourself.
I'm not sure about temperatures or noise levels, but it's completely stable. Also, with the rheostat controlling fan speeds I can make it quiet if I need to.

waitaminute...

flounder43 said:
I appreciate advice from a master like yourself.
I'm a master? lol This is my first serious case mod (not counting my old Dell case). I'm just glad it's turned out so well. :)

The name's Threepwood. Guybrush Threepwod.

Oni said:
If I want rounded cables, I'll buy them, thx.
Just one of those random things, but I notice you have a quote from Curse of Monkey Island in your sig. Excellent game. Probably my favorite. :D

Custom Windows starting up screen. I know I saw a mod where you could make a logo appear under the Windows logo in the System control panel, but I can't find it.

Back