Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clutch help

Clutch help

Hey guys, i'm getting some stuff together for the planned SR20 swap and i'm down to the clutch. I'm looking at the HKS GD Pro Twin Plate Clutch Kit but it looks as if it's designed more for drag than drift. Which the clutch will be getting plenty of abuse. The other option? SPEC D clutch system for the S13 SR20. Designed for clutch kicks while the HKS is designed for 600hp. Soooo...anyone have any info on these? Used them? Know the brand? Stuff like that. Car's a 97 Nissan 240sx(kouki) and will be used for drift with a bit of drag and auto-x. HP range will be anywhere from 320-370.

Thanks

Member of OCdriftingNinjas | You gotta' Fold if you wanna turn up the Heat
    Overclocking: My Anti-Drug. | Overclocking my body...one day at a time... | Black Belt Ubercloxx0r | You are the most ripped yo-yo'er I have ever seen. - Seven
    HTPC | i5 2500k@3.8 | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 16GB HyperX | GTX 460 1gb@845/1100 | 1.5TB | Silverstone LC10S-M | Corsair 500w

/me points to a car forum
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenocide
    /me points to a car forum
    /me stabs Xeno in the eye with a really hot french fry.

Overclocking: My Anti-Drug. | Overclocking my body...one day at a time... | Black Belt Ubercloxx0r | You are the most ripped yo-yo'er I have ever seen. - Seven
    HTPC | i5 2500k@3.8 | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 16GB HyperX | GTX 460 1gb@845/1100 | 1.5TB | Silverstone LC10S-M | Corsair 500w

I would go with the SPEC D, but my personal prefs are ACT, but not sure about applicability for the 240sx, just my opinion at this!
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz
    X-Mystique DDL Surround Soundcard 7.1
    Harman Kardon AVR 135 | JBL E30 Pair | BIC F3 Center | Dayton Reference 12" 4cu ft box
    Gigabyte Z77-D3H
    G. Skill DD3 1600 8gb
    EVGA 670 GTX | Asus VE248H 24" Widescreen LCD
    Corsair 750TX 750w PSU

How can a clutch be for "drifting" and not drag racing?

www.Google.com Search for 240sx forums.

If youre talking about http://www.240sxforums.com/ I've already have them on my bookmarks

And drag clutches are designed to hold more power when starting out. AKA rev it like hell then pop. Drift clutches are designed for clutch kicks. AKA like in the other thread when I said to downshift. Do it when going fast enough and downshift right before a turn; you will upset traction in the rear tires and can go into a slide.

yeah, that does make alot of sense, just like there are clutches for Auto-X, and stuff
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz
    Harman Kardon AVR 135 | JBL E30 Pair | BIC F3 Center | Dayton Reference 12" 4cu ft box
    Gigabyte Z77-D3H
    G. Skill DD3 1600 8gb
    Corsair 750TX 750w PSU

There are?

No. It's just a big conspiracy against you.

yeah Tom, its all you bud, its all you

but are there any good ACT clutches for the 240sx? i have used those a quite a bit, and i have found that they are great for what you want, ala drifting, and i mainly use mine for alot of cross country, and some AutoX
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz
    Gigabyte Z77-D3H
    G. Skill DD3 1600 8gb
    Corsair 750TX 750w PSU

I would go with spec for this one man, spec is damn reliable and they grip like no other, act is decent i would say, a 2600 or so would be decent.

Sweet, thanks for the info. Now I just need that damn guy to email me back already. grrr....

Senior Band Wagon Jumper CrystalMethod's Avatar
    I prefer Exedy clutches myself. Don't know if they have them for your particular appliction though. If you're building a drift car, you should look into replacing the flywheel, drive shaft, half shafts, and differential as well. All that HP and torque is great till something snaps.

http://www.enjukuracing.com/

they sell many stuff for the 240sx as well as many sr20det parts
    Also will this car be for daily driving?

becasue i you go for a more aggressive clutch and it is alos your daily driver you might not want to go with a 6 puck or other crazy clutch beciause the clutch chater and harsh engagements that come along woulf make normal driving annoying

the ACT street clutches they have on enjuku look to be nice

but they also have those spec stage 2 which will also be cool

and also I see you lookign into the s14a. where do you live? bec emissions might be kinda hard to pass bec 97's are OBD2

what do you plan on running on the engine? upgraded injectors and such? i want details

and i would atleast on looking to getting a LSD or atleast make sure you get a n s14a with a vlsd. i wouldn't worry about the driveshafts or halfshafts because i haven't heard anything bad about the stock ones except that their heavy

Man i know way too much about 240's! i dont even have my lisence yet! all i do is read these forums or 240sxforums.com

Its just a mater of time before i get one and i WILL have one mwahahahah....

Oh I know. This is going to be a S13 redtop SR20DET with a LOT of saving up to do. I mean, seriously, about 10-13k is going to be going into this.

So far this is what I have setup for engine mods, things in bold are things I am still somewhat unsure of.

S13 SR20DET Red Top
    Blitz nur spec-R or HKS Hi-Power Exhaust
    Blitz LM Series Intercooler
    SPEC D clutch
    KAAZ LSD
    Walbro Fuel Pump
    B&M Short Throw Shifter
    Blitz Downpipe
    Greddy Type R BOV or Blitz SS BOV
    Flex-a-lite Fans
    Oil and Fuel Filter
    Koyo Aluminum Radiator
    Fidanza Flywheel
    NGK iridium Spark Plugs
    Test Pipe
    GReddy/Trust T67 Turbo Upgrade
    Apexi Power FC w/ Commander
    Used 300zx MAF Sensor with Plug
    Apexi Power Intake
    Tomei 740cc Side Feed Injectors
    Tomei Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
    Greddy Oil Pan Kit
    Custom 1.18mm Metal Head Gasket
    ARP SR20DET Cylinder Head Studs
    HKS 264 Step 2 Camshafts
    Greddy Rocker Arm Stoppers
    Ferrea Titanium Valve Spring Kit
    Greddy Intake Plenum
    Greddy Cold Pipe for Greddy Intake Plenum

If pulled off and have the ECU tweaked properly this engine *will* force out close to 500hp.

Interior gauges/electronics and what not are going to be running Blitz BLM mainly.

Quote Originally Posted by k3nshin
    http://www.enjukuracing.com/

they sell many stuff for the 240sx as well as many sr20det parts
    Also will this car be for daily driving?
    haha, that's the site i'm looking at. I'm checking out their packages but tweaking the parts to moreso what i'm looking for. And yes this car will be daily driver, i'm currently in Cali but going AF so I dunno where i'll be after this.

Senior Band Wagon Jumper CrystalMethod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by k3nshin
    i wouldn't worry about the driveshafts or halfshafts because i haven't heard anything bad about the stock ones except that their heavy
    Yes, they're heavy. They're also weak for applications other than mild "street racing" if that's what you want to call it. Personally I think race cars should be only driven at the track, and have no place on public roads. What you hear and what really happens is two completely different things. You think people are going to willingly admit they dumped $16 000 into their engine and tranny's only to neglect the rear end and have it fail on them? 90% of the time a failed rear end will cause the engine to over rev. , and you'll end up spending more in the end than to do it right in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus2k7
    Oh I know. This is going to be a S13 redtop SR20DET with a LOT of saving up to do. I mean, seriously, about 10-13k is going to be going into this.

So far this is what I have setup for engine mods, things in bold are things I am still somewhat unsure of.

S13 SR20DET Red Top
    Blitz nur spec-R or HKS Hi-Power Exhaust
    Blitz LM Series Intercooler
    SPEC D clutch
    KAAZ LSD
    Walbro Fuel Pump
    B&M Short Throw Shifter
    Blitz Downpipe
    Greddy Type R BOV or Blitz SS BOV
    Flex-a-lite Fans
    Oil and Fuel Filter
    Koyo Aluminum Radiator
    Fidanza Flywheel
    NGK iridium Spark Plugs
    Test Pipe
    GReddy/Trust T67 Turbo Upgrade
    Apexi Power FC w/ Commander
    Used 300zx MAF Sensor with Plug
    Apexi Power Intake
    Tomei 740cc Side Feed Injectors
    Tomei Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
    Greddy Oil Pan Kit
    Custom 1.18mm Metal Head Gasket
    ARP SR20DET Cylinder Head Studs
    HKS 264 Step 2 Camshafts
    Greddy Rocker Arm Stoppers
    Ferrea Titanium Valve Spring Kit
    Greddy Intake Plenum
    Greddy Cold Pipe for Greddy Intake Plenum

If pulled off and have the ECU tweaked properly this engine *will* force out close to 500hp.
    What are you running for your ignition system?

that should be a nice car.....

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalMethod
    What are you running for your ignition system?
    Not too sure ATM on specifics. What you see in the list is all I have, so really; spark plugs

Id definately run the ACT. Man I love that clutch!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast