• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much gain from my system now to this AMD system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oc jason

My current system is very good imo, but I do 99% gaming and was looking for the best bank for my buck, so please tell me if the increase in playability and fps would be worth going to the new system.

Current System
p4 3.2c HT
Abit IC7 Mobo
1.5g Kingston Pc3500 Hyper-X
GeForce FX 5950XT OC 128mb
SATA150 120g HDD
Win XP Pro

New System
AMD 64 3200/3500+ 90nm
DFI NF4 Ultra Chipset Board
GeForce 6800GT 256mb

(possibly up to 2g memory, and possibly use a PCI-E Card instead of the AGP)

how much gain will i see from the i875 chipset to the NF4 chipset, and the amd chip, also will i see any great increases in FPS when going from an AGP to a PCI-E Card

Well what kind of games do you play? do you need more frames? It's up to you, if your gamings are lagging then get the new system if not wait until you need more performance and I bet that by then your going to be able to get a system that is even better then what you could get now.

I play mostly World of Warcraft, Counter-Strike 1.6 and Source. In wow I get 35-41 fps, but of course would like more.

oc jason said:
I play mostly World of Warcraft, Counter-Strike 1.6 and Source. In wow I get 35-41 fps, but of course would like more.
PCI-E does not affect the overall speed of the GPU. You would see no difference between the PCI-E and AGP versions. I personlly would just get a 6800GT on AGP for your Pentium4. A64 really isnt THAT much faster to be honest

I would consider that I good reason to buy a new setup, eventhough you can play wow now at playable frames, you could be getting better frames and be ready to any game that might be more demending the wow. Just hold on until you can get a venice core a64, supposely thay oc higher then current cores.

ya im sure I could get a great FPS but ingames I play at 1280x1024, if I lower to asy 800x600 ill get great FPS but I just refuse to play games at a messy res like that.

Sentential said:
PCI-E does not affect the overall speed of the GPU. You would see no difference between the PCI-E and AGP versions. I personlly would just get a 6800GT on AGP for your Pentium4. A64 really isnt THAT much faster to be honest

That is true, he could just get a card for your current pc, for a lot less, but since he is gaming most of the time the a64 would be more relevant then it was for you. I also see more of a future on the a64 with pci-e, later you could put a dual core cpu in it after a bios flash or if you decide to change mobo later on you can keep the card.

Well truely the best bang for the buck here would be a new video card. Truely you got a great system. Even if its not a top of the line video card even a 6600GT would preform better then the card you have. And give you better gaming experiance.

You won't see that much preformance increase, even if you can hold back til the dual cores come out or the newer CPU's hit mainstream I'd do that. I'm with a similar feeling with you on this, where I do tend to game more then anything else, yet upgrading will provide little gain from what I have currently. So waiting for some nice dual cores, new sockets or new process (65nm) is what I'm going for.

k thx guys will do, i work at bestbuy as a pc tech so the $400 gf fx 6800gt is only 299$ for me, and i can return the 5950xt i purchased here and get credit for that back making me only have to pay $116 bux for the card, appreciate the advice.

Wow, can you do that for me too :D , that makes much more sense then getting a whole new pc.

oc jason said:
k thx guys will do, i work at bestbuy as a pc tech so the $400 gf fx 6800gt is only 299$ for me, and i can return the 5950xt i purchased here and get credit for that back making me only have to pay $116 bux for the card, appreciate the advice.

WTF!?!? LOL I use to work at Bestbuy and never got those type of "in house deals" grrrrr

oc jason said:

nice.

now all you need to do is O/C your cpu and you've got a killer comp.

Back