• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What kind of tubing should I use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozziegn

I have all of my WCing stuff coming tomorrow except for the tubing which I had planned on buying locally if possible.

So I was wondering what kind of tubing should I be looking for at places like Lowes of Home Depot? should I use the clear stuff or should I get the stuff that has the nylon reinforcing braiding on the inner wall of the tubing?

Please discuss and give me your input on this.

I would avoid the local stuff, but its your choice, people here have used the local stuff with no problems, so what do I know. You just wanna make sure, which I'm sure you did that everything (your fittings) are 1/2" so make sure you get 1/2" tubing

its actually a steel braiding and the tubes are vinyl, both types. Vinyl is a very verry sturdy tubing which is difficult to kink, but at the same time diffiult to bend in a system. If you're going to buy locally get the clear stuff because the braided is really really hard to work with and will drive you up the wall trying to bend it. My other local suggestions are to check out petstores that have a lot of aquarium items in them and to call up refrigerant supply stores. Very often times they have versions of flexible pvc tubing and on rare occasions tygon variants that are much more flexible.

vinyl is what you're gonna find at hardware stores and while tough and durable can be a pain depending on your bends. keep in mind you can heat up vinyl in steaming hot water and bend it easier

Craptacualr said:
vinyl is what you're gonna find at hardware stores and while tough and durable can be a pain depending on your bends. keep in mind you can heat up vinyl in steaming hot water and bend it easier

well, I really wont mind having to work with the stuff as long as its going to be durable in the long run.

I have every intension(s) of taking my time with building this watercooling system because I cant afford to have any f-ups due to mistakes that may or may not occur.

okay. I finally ended up buying some 1/2" ID - 3/4" OD tubing from Home Depot.

the stuff seems like it'd be pretty hard to kink but of course at the same time, it does look like it may be hard to work with.

oh well, I guess I'll find out soon enough.

heh, like i said, you can experiment with temporarily softening and molding vinyl with some near boiling water and/or a heatgun/hairdryer. If you warm it up it becomes pliable. if you keep warming it, it melts :).

Back