• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get rid of this wallpaper

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreIU

Hey all, I just got my laptop, and I downloaded a few widescreen wallpapers to see how they would look like. I finally settled on one and it works fine, for the most part.

The problem:

Whenever I log onto Widnows (XP, SP2), right after I click my name and type my password in, this wallpaper (one of the ones I was trying to see if I liked) flashes on my screen for about one second. The same happens when I log off, or shut down.

I totally erased the the file from the folder in which it was in, and it does not appear in the "desktop" section when I right click on desktop-->Properties-->then desktop tab (It just doesnt show up there). I ran a few registry mechanic type programs, but none has really fixed this.

This is on a fresh install of Windows too. If you guys have any ideas, let me know. Thanks :)

pcgirl said:
Did you check in C:\Windows\web\wallpaper to see if it was still in there? If it is, delete it. :)

Unfortunately, it is not :( Are there any other folders where such images might be stored? I noticed that in the folder that you pointed out, none of my "custom" wallpapers were there, just the stock 800*600 ones that come with windows. Maybe I could do a search for it in the Windows folder? Unfortunately I deleted it from my pictures folder, and now I don't remember the file name :(

Any other suggestions?

Maybe see if it's located in C:\Windows?

One other question...when you changed the wallpaper to the current picture, was it opened in IE first? If not, try opening it in IE, then right click and choose "set as wallpaper". Reboot and see what happens...

Ebola said:
search *.bmp on C and see if it finds it.

Just did that, but I did not see it there. I will now search for all the .jpg files I guess, since I am pretty sure it was a jpg. Hope it finds it, thanks for the tip.

pcgirl said:
Maybe see if it's located in C:\Windows?

One other question...when you changed the wallpaper to the current picture, was it opened in IE first? If not, try opening it in IE, then right click and choose "set as wallpaper". Reboot and see what happens...

Do you mean internet explorer? It wasn't, all of them were saved on my HD. I had them transfered from my desktop pc via a cd rom to my lappie.

Might be Active Desktop. Go to Display Properties - Desktop - Customize Desktop, and click on the Web tab. Sounds like one of your backgrounds is a standard Windows background, and the other is an Active Desktop background. Remove anything from there and start over.

Hope that helps.

Slackfumasta said:
Might be Active Desktop. Go to Display Properties - Desktop - Customize Desktop, and click on the Web tab. Sounds like one of your backgrounds is a standard Windows background, and the other is an Active Desktop background. Remove anything from there and start over.

Hope that helps.

Check out my attachment... I have nothing there to delete :shrug: I hope I wont have to reinstall windows over htis thing. Thanks for the tip, and if you have anymore, let me know please :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• desk.jpg
    desk.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 101
Just change the desktop to something else then reboot then change it to the one you want then reboot. It sometimes displays the last desktop picture you had. This should change it to the one you have now;)

go to a pick on the net, set it as your desktop, here ill give you one.
RHINO5565.JPG

then set it back to the one you want it to be. now you can see what will do it.

Ok, I did what you guys said... I realized why it was doing that. Apparently, the current wallpaper that I was using was a .png file, so for some reason it was doing that. I just saved it as a .jpeg in photoshop and it isn't doing htat anymore. Wierdness. Thanks for the help guysl.

Back