• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new hardware, need advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

E.Bola

Registered
I just installed a p4 530 "prescott" 3.0GHz (LGA775) on my Abit AS8 "uGuru" motherboard. I am maintaining about 45°C at the default 3Ghz, I have 2 80mm case fans, the standard cpu heatsink/fan that came in the box and a 450w psu with 2 fans. What should be my limit for a stable overclock so that I dont do any damage? At what temperature does damage take place? I'm not necessarily trying to push my cpu to the limit. I just want a nice, stable, high speed. Tips anyone?

Last edited:
Is that temperature idle, or under load?
You should stay below 60C under load if you want your components to last a long time.
You should also apply some Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound to your CPU if you haven't already. It lowers temperatues even more. It dropped my temperatures by more than 10C.

so i put the "arctic silver 5"
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-100-007&depa=0
in between the cpu and heatsink (ive never used thermal compound before)? is this a good compound? What about case fans, what brand case fans to you recommend? I wouldnt mind adding 2 more.

the 45°C is idle temp at default(3000Mhz). I am using the uGuru utility to overclock, at 3180Mhz i am idling at about 49°C, i havnt seen it go over 59°C. I have it set to beep/warn me when the temp reaches 65°C and auto-shut down at 75°C

Last edited:
Paul1 said:
Is that temperature idle, or under load?
You should stay below 60C under load if you want your components to last a long time.
You should also apply some Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound to your CPU if you haven't already. It lowers temperatues even more. It dropped my temperatures by more than 10C.

AS5 is god like lol i always have a 3.5grams with me :santa:

E.Bola said:
so i put the "arctic silver 5"
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-100-007&depa=0
in between the cpu and heatsink (ive never used thermal compound before)? is this a good compound? What about case fans, what brand case fans to you recommend? I wouldnt mind adding 2 more.

the 45°C is idle temp at default(3000Mhz). I am using the uGuru utility to overclock, at 3180Mhz i am idling at about 49°C, i havnt seen it go over 59°C. I have it set to beep/warn me when the temp reaches 65°C and auto-shut down at 75°C

Hm, 45C idle is a lot. Yes, you linked to the right compound. You will only have to use about a rice grain worth of compound on your CPU. What you'll have to do is take a plastic knife and scratch off the thermal pad (a thin layer of compound on the bottom of the heatsink). Then use a cloth and some 90% rubbing alcohol to clean off the rest of the thermal pad. Clean the processor with the cloth also (Don't use the plastic knife to scrape off bits of the thermal pad. Obviously. Rofl). That's what I do. You should notice an immediate drop in temperature after you use AS5 on your processor. My computer was idling at 42C before I applied it. Now I'm idling at 32C.
AS5's website has a graphic tutorial on what to do exactly. You can find it here

yeah i know 45°C is kinda high to idle. I've read on many forums that prescotts idle high anyways. i'll get some compound tomorrow. any advice on case fan brands? what fan rpm is good?

I don't know much about fans but I would imagine the larger the RPM the better :p

moho said:
if you wanna get lower temps, then get a XP-90 from svc.com
http://www.svcompucycle.com/xp-90-21.html
if you do, enter coupon "xp90" without "'s and you will get another $15 off.
pressy's run hotter than others. so you will need good cooling if your gonna O/C.

and by the way :welcome: to the forums!

which fan should i get with it?? and where do i put in coupn code? i'll buy this, it looks nice.

59C is a little hot for my taste

My 2.8 is overclocked to 3.59 and runs at 54C under a load with a system temp of 34c

Add a duct ( see the link in my signature) and your temps ( depending on your room temp) will drop like a rock :)

Good Luck

Dave

E.Bola said:
which fan should i get with it?? and where do i put in coupn code? i'll buy this, it looks nice.
click the link, go to cart ckeckout, enter address,then next, then where it says enter credit card info, a little below it theres a box that says enter promo codes, enter xp90 there then press apply. also if you havent bought the arctic silver 5 yet, you can get it coupled with this heatsink for only 4.99 more. a steal compared to retail prices in stores.
i would reccomend a panaflo fan for it, you can get it cheaper other places though... if you want it pretty quiet then run speedfan with it.
PM me if you need more info. i will be glad to help :)

EDIT: oh yeah you will need that adapter to fit a 775

thanks a bunch guys, im gonna order it monday (after i put cash in the bank), then all i need is my radeon9800pro and ill be set <3

The Unforgiven said:
Yes you have to have the LGA775 RM Retention Bracket to make it compatible with an LGA775 motherboard.
Wow - Still??? :rolleyes:

That really sucks. I'd have thought by now that TR would include a complete universal mounting hardware assortment. The use of LGA775 procs has been growing quite a bit. I just checked out the new all copper XP-90C, and it's not LGA775 compatible, out-of-the-box, either.

Both the small, & large, all-copper Zalmans have been including universal mounting hardware for around a year, now. Looking at the retail box price of the TR LGA775 adapter, I doubt it would be overly expensive to include as part of the XP-90/120 retail package.

Strat

Stratcat said:
Wow - Still??? :rolleyes:

That really sucks. I'd have thought by now that TR would include a complete universal mounting hardware assortment. The use of LGA775 procs has been growing quite a bit. I just checked out the new all copper XP-90C, and it's not LGA775 compatible, out-of-the-box, either.

Both the small, & large, all-copper Zalmans have been including universal mounting hardware for around a year, now. Looking at the retail box price of the TR LGA775 adapter, I doubt it would be overly expensive to include as part of the XP-90/120 retail package.

Strat

Well all the adapter does is make a cradle just like a Socket 478 has. And the XP-120 actually comes with a cradle for K8's. So seems like they could just throw one in for LGA 775's too.

ok i just ordered -
- THERMALRIGHT XP-90 ALUMINUM HEATPIPE HEATSINK FOR INTEL/AMD
- THERMALRIGHT LGA775 RM RETENSION BRACKET FOR SOCKET 478 COOLERS
- SUNON 92X92X25 MEDIUM SPEED BALL BEARING FAN W/ 4PIN 48.5CFM 33DBA
- ARCTIC SILVER 5 THERMAL COMPOUND - 3.5 GRAM TUBE
- PC TOYS 92MM LASER CUT FAN GRILL - BIOHAZARD

The "xp90" coupon code doesnt work anymore (it did last week when i sampled prices) but today i actually ordered, and it didnt... maybe it ended march 31? anyways...
Should be here in a few days... is there anything else i should get?

E.Bola said:
I havnt seen it go over 59C

My 3.2 Prescott OC/d to 3.8GHz doesn't exceed 51c under load. I am using a Thermalright SP-94 heatsink and Panaflow 80mm 2,500rpm fan with AS5 compound. Idle temps are 39c.

Back