• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800pro mod pic/question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crazybowlhead

Registered
9800mod3oq.jpg

Ok my fan died on my 9800 witch i found out after pickin up my mad dog 450watt psu (3 fans :) ) so i freak out lol and steal a fan off a old heatsink and it bolted up ^_^ i was so happy and now after like gaming doom 3 for hours then some call of duty etc....the heatsink doesn't even get hot so my question is should i get a aftermarket cooler or is my "ghetto mod" good enogh? i mean it doesn't get hot at all so i guess it would be

nice work. i would get a aftermarket anyways though. and some as5 if you havent done that already also.
then you can overclock it higher.

Personally, i think your ghetto mod isnt that ghetto. Sure it is a tad, but trust me...i've seen worse. As for the after cooling solution, i honestly doubt you will need to unless your trying to oc the crap outta the card but even then, it still might not be worth it.

Max overclock your card and then try comparing that to what other people get with the same manufacturer/specs. Also, you could get a temp probe and get a rough idea of how hot it is but i think your prolly good.

Oh ya, you might want to tear off the heatsink and apply some as5 or sumthin then put it back if that doesnt frighten you

yea i have some thermal paste and was gonna do that but how the heck u get those black pins out? lol

i tried that had i was pinching hard 2! pcb was flexin and ****..i don't wanna break it ^_^

yes, pull the little pin out from the heatsink side, the center pin of it. be very careful and use tweezers or something. put the videocard on a washcloth or towel securely on a counter with lots of light. dont slip and jab the card.

ok i'll give it a shot...hope i don't slip ;) ....also what cooler would u recomend if i was 2 buy one...the ati silencer 3?

crazybowlhead said:
ok i'll give it a shot...hope i don't slip ;) ....also what cooler would u recomend if i was 2 buy one...the ati silencer 3?
yeah the ati silencer is nice. make sure the 3 will fit onto your card

yea i think it does maybe that's the xt tho...pretty sure the 1st one does....but i went to newegg and found the ati silencer 1 but when i looked at the pic it said it was the 5th one...so i dunno what's going on there lol

thx looks like it gets the job done...btw when i said my heatsink don't get hot i mean when i touch it it's still cold even after heavy gaming but the old tiny fan made the heatsink get so hot it burnt my finger lol

Man .... no offence meant .... but get that card off the carpet !!! Shame on you !

Very nice looking I think. you may want to try getting a copper 1U heatsink & drilling mounting holes for a cooling upgrade if you'd like an inexpencive option.

Moto7451 said:
Very nice looking I think. you may want to try getting a copper 1U heatsink & drilling mounting holes for a cooling upgrade if you'd like an inexpencive option.
the zalman would be just as good and u dont need to mod it

Back