• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which software video player do you use on your PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What software video player do you use to watch video on your PC?

• BSPlayer

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • MPC (Media Player Classic)

Votes: 26 14.6%
  • MPlayer (Linux)

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Radlight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RealPlayer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VLC (Video Lan Client)

Votes: 26 14.6%
  • Winamp

Votes: 28 15.7%
  • Windows Media Player (any version! 6.4 is not special!)

Votes: 68 38.2%
  • Zoom Player

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Other (core, Xine, DivX, MPlayer Win etc. please post)

Votes: 18 10.1%

• Total voters
redwraith94 said:
I said wmp, cause that is what I use almost exclusively, but also:
quicktime
divx 2.1 alpha
realplayer

What is a good site to download from?, I usually use the defiler pak ver 1.19 but it can't play some very rare files

This site is the homepage as I recall: http://www.k-litemegacodecpack.com/

It seems to be down ATM but I'm pretty sure that's the place. Get the Mega Codec Pack if you're interested in the bundle of the alternatives and BSPlayer & MPC.

Great codec pack, I've been using it for a couple of years and have had very few problems w/ it, and it has supported every video file I've ever came across. Updated frequently as new versions of the codecs or players come out as well.

I have an alternative viewpoint on codec packs and whether one should use them or not.

There are some codec packs that are fine and even work pretty much the same way as installing the various codecs you need separately. The problem is, if you don't know you don't know (if you catch my drift ;) ). When you get in the habit of installing only what you know you'll need manually you'll learn just what does what, and what codecs or splitters are available to do all the various jobs in video playback.

So, you might be able to get away with a codec pack. They really are better than they used to be, especially the small home brew ones you see various content providers releasing. BUT, if you have a problem it will be much more difficult for you to troubleshoot it because you won't understand what might be causing it or know what else to try or tweak. I myself am an avid PC video watcher and only install 4 separate 'codec' entities. Yeah, only 4. Add RealAlternative & QuicktimeAlternative (which I don't use) to that number and you have a setup that'll decode 99% of everything you could find on the web with little issue.

If you're wondering what those 4 are, here you go.

mpc crashes on my pc a lot for some odd reason... when i set it to dx9 overlay mode... my radeon 9600 p just wont display anything. as for real alternative, it get stuck on a frame sometimes. anyone know the reason?

Biermann said:
how about PowerDVD
Can powerDVD play divx/xvid/h.264 etc video? That is what this poll is more aimed at although I know I didn't specify. A lot of these players can play DVDs too though. I guess you'd be 'other'.

Gnerma said:
Can powerDVD play divx/xvid/h.264 etc video? That is what this poll is more aimed at although I know I didn't specify. A lot of these players can play DVDs too though. I guess you'd be 'other'.

Sure it can. I'm watching a divx clip right now.

I watch alot of different video formats and diff configs of the same format and media player classic owns WMP.
I use VLC to watch bin files of vcd\svcd before burning them to disc.

mpc, and i got one question about it. how do you enable subtitles on .ogm files in media player classic.

Darkstorm_13 said:
mpc, and i got one question about it. how do you enable subtitles on .ogm files in media player classic.
Hmm I was under the impression that MPC had an OGM splitter and VSfilter built in so I'd think the answer would be "you don't have to". I'm not an MPC user though. Oni?

I mainly use Windows Media Player 7.1. I use Quicktime for the *.mov files. I also use Windows Media Player 6.4.

Back