• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which software video player do you use on your PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What software video player do you use to watch video on your PC?

• BSPlayer

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • MPC (Media Player Classic)

Votes: 26 14.6%
  • MPlayer (Linux)

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Radlight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RealPlayer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VLC (Video Lan Client)

Votes: 26 14.6%
  • Winamp

Votes: 28 15.7%
  • Windows Media Player (any version! 6.4 is not special!)

Votes: 68 38.2%
  • Zoom Player

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Other (core, Xine, DivX, MPlayer Win etc. please post)

Votes: 18 10.1%

• Total voters

Gnerma

I'm sure we all have a guess as to which player most people use, but sometimes I really wonder just what the percentages are, hence the poll.

Please try not to flame any of the canidates. Yeah some of them suck but people do use them believe it or not. Just know in your heart* that you are superior for using the right player and everybody else is just a insignificant flesh tube** :p

If you use Xbox Media Center or some other screwy setup consider yourself off topic. This pool is about how you watch Video on your PC or at least from your PC. If you don't watch video on your PC, don't vote :) Jah neh.

*(In your heart being the key phrase.)
**(The term flesh tube is copyright Ebola24.)

Last edited:
I've always used WMP for all video. I've never had a problem with it so I see no need to try something else.

I voted WinAmp but I use everything..I got the KLite Codec pack and have never had a problem playing anything..I've got VLC somewhere but just haven't installed since my last reformat.

i use windows media player 10 for most video.
some video is linked to winamp
and for dvd video i use windvd!

btw.. what is VLC??? and what advantages does it offer over the rest? ive noticed that 5 people have voted for it so far. Just curious to what it is.

raven

Last edited:
raven said:
btw.. what is VLC??? and what advantages does it offer over the rest? ive notived that 5 people have voted for it so far. Just curious to what it is.
VLC is interesting mostly because it is open source and it is a non directshow player unlike most of the other players in the poll. It is cross platform as well, although it seems almost all Linux users use MPlayer instead of VLC. I'm actually kind of surprised we have so many VLC & WMP users since Zoom Player and MPC tend to own the lions share of the market.

Last edited:
Winamp is good for music, but I don't really like it's movie interface much. My favorite for VIDEO would have to be DivX Player. My only problem with it is that it won't let you seek within a file that is incomplete (you're forced to play it from the begining :().

After that would probably be *dons flame-and-tomato-proof suit(s)* RealPlayer. The latest version is a LOT less annoying than prior versions, and the options to turn everything off aren't all hidden away in zillions of submenus. If it wern't so heavy on the RAM and had a bit better interface, I might use it more (since it's the MOST tolerant of bad/incomplete video I know of). I think I may Helix, which is based on the core of RealPlayer (which is about all I really want :p)

JigPu

Video Lan if you didn't know you can play the movie on your desktop as your wallpaper!!! OMG but the thing never sees the length correctly and chapter jump is sometimes off.

Back