• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extreme condensation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

babyboosdaddy

Registered
:bang head , ok i have achieved great temps cooling with my swimming pool
see : would this be too EXTREME ... now i am getting alot of condensation , i am afraid it is gonna cost me a mobo or cpu or somthing.. any ideas ? :bang head

you have to stop everything that gets cold from reaching the air. foam to wrap around the water lines, dielectric grease for the cpu socket, neoprene (air tight foam) for around the cpu, etc.

ell, you could seal the entire case, install a small rad inside the case (before the cpu), and deal with condensation that way. Or you could do as crimedog said (a far better idea).

I have a heatercore inside my case to stop condensation. It's in parallel with my cpu waterblock, but it's fed by a large pump on 1" ID tubing coming up from the big basement radiator...no flow problems in parallel.
I'd recomend you place it in series after your waterblock if you're using 1/2" tube.

Drop the case air temp, and the condensation risk goes away. My Prescott and my case air are both around 17C in a 23C room.

My custom case is built like a fridge, but you may have to watch for condensation on the outside of it, especially around the IO plate.

babyboosdaddy - stop, insulate, restart
if you dont you may loose more than just the mobo or the cpu

Diggrr - WOW, pics ?
by the way you get condensation on the outside of the box ? odd, small diff between room and case

ZL1 said:
Diggrr - WOW, pics ?
by the way you get condensation on the outside of the box ? odd, small diff between room and case

Follow the "further" link in my sig for my case thread. It's insulated because I built it from foam core fiberglass panels.
A steel case may not get much condensation because the air would be cooling the case metal from the inside, and the room air is warming it from the outside, thus the case metal itself would be somewhere in between. I just recommend watching the IO plate because of the electrical passing through.

The temp difference is plenty. It would only take 70% humidity for condensation to form, something we can see regularly here in Michigan, surrounded by lakes.
Those temps are my mobo thermisters (acurate as lawn darts), but the waterblock top itself is colder still because the water is colder than cpu temp shows, like in any watercooling system.

Diggrr said:
Follow the "further" link in my sig for my case thread. It's insulated because I built it from foam core fiberglass panels.
A steel case may not get much condensation because the air would be cooling the case metal from the inside, and the room air is warming it from the outside, thus the case metal itself would be somewhere in between. I just recommend watching the IO plate because of the electrical passing through.

The temp difference is plenty. It would only take 70% humidity for condensation to form, something we can see regularly here in Michigan, surrounded by lakes.
Those temps are my mobo thermisters (acurate as lawn darts), but the waterblock top itself is colder still because the water is colder than cpu temp shows, like in any watercooling system.

WOW, amazing build man !
I myself always wanted to separate the hdds and opticals (for better airflow, for improved temps, for easier access, etc etc), but I was thinking vertical, have the psu/hdds/optis on top and a bottom compartment for mobo and cards :)

yep the dew point is 17deg with 70%@23, I was off for some reason, sorry

by the way you mentioned the fan blows chilled air into the case, how are you chilling the air ?

Thanks
Dan

Back