• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best stock Case for overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guillaume

What in your opinion is the best (cooling ability) stock case today? My setup will be hot with 2 6800GT and an overclocked (I hope!) Athlon64 3800+ plus a couple HDDs.
I'm thinking 120mm fans to keep it cool and quiet. Can't really decide between the Antec P160, Silverstone TJ05, TJ06, Thermaltake Armor...
I swear picking a case is gotta be the most difficult part :bang head

Coolermaster stacker is big too
The Antec P180 is going to be amazing too
But any on that list would do well, its mostly personal preference other factors (room temp.) change your temps then the different cases will

I haven't got much experience, but am proud owner of a CM stacker.

The stock cooling of this case is great, there was no need to do any mods at all. I even didn't add any fans above stock. With two 120mm fans in the front and the one in the rear, you should be ready to go with your sli set up.

Can you add anymore fans to that stacker case?
What are the stock fans and speeds? Air flow?

Chromance said:
Can you add anymore fans to that stacker case?
What are the stock fans and speeds? Air flow?

you can have 3x120mmx25mm fans in the front sucking in air through preinstalled dust filters 1x120mmx25mm
exhaust in the back, one top blowhole 80mm. If you want to go crazy you could install a blower right beside the mother board to blow over it ;).

Dont know about the stock fans' airflow, but they are very silent and don't move much air. But with the unobstructed inner layout, it's more than enough - for me. The case is also changeable to btx, and has space for a second PSU - it's a server case after all.

The Stacker is an excellent choice, especially if you are planning on/considering moving to water cooling.
My current case, the Silverstone TJ-06 is great for aircooling, even though the "windtunnel" is kinda useless (but that might change with my new board...).

when choosing a case for overclocking keep in mind that to be successful in overclocking you need to beable to cool a big heat sink, or radiators. what determines your ability to do that is how much air you can move and how cool the air is. a larger case such as a full size case will give you tons of space for fan, if the holes aren't there when you buy the case you can always make the holes. also a full tower will give much more room for ducting air in or out especially if you are water cooling. another thing to think about is how much space you have for your case, are you going to be moving it a lot to lan partys or anywhere else. if you plan on moving you case a lot you don't want a full tower as you will have trouble finding a well build aluminum case not to mention that full towers are huge. if you have tons of space and don't plan on moving your case you would have lots of success with a full tower. hope that helps. btw i like cheiftec stock cases. if you want to do the moding yourself you'll find chieftecs you best bet, many case builders mod chieftecs and then rebrand as there own.

Ciffer,
This case won't move from my bedroom, so size isn't really an issue.
What models from Chieftec would you recommend and most of all what associated mod would give it the best cooloing? Thanks!

guillaume said:
Ciffer,
This case won't move from my bedroom, so size isn't really an issue.
What models from Chieftec would you recommend and most of all what associated mod would give it the best cooloing? Thanks!

Well if you want big on size, and quality, and cheap on price you could always give either the Chieftec Full Dragon or the Chenming 901 (They are both the same and made by Chenming). BIG case, comes stock with 5 spots for 80mm fans. But Plenty of space to mod at will. The clean basic lines of the case gives you near limitless possibilites for modding.

I use this case myself and have been very happy with it. If I was not making my own HUGE (4' tall X 2' wide X 12" deep case) for my ultimate cooling setup (I will post pics soon in the mod section), I would probably be upgrading to a Stacker.

EC

i love the Raidmax Scorpio-868 mid tower and the -668 full tower cases... they look good premod, and they are VERY roomy (i have the 868).. rolled edges for no cuts.. the 668 is good, and its SOLID aluminum('cept for bezel).. light case

the 868 (mid tower) has room for 7 fans... 4 80mm intake in the front, 2 exaust in the back (included) and the side panel intake (tri-LED, orange/yellow/red).. and for only around $70 for an 868 (with a cheap 420W PSU), its a killer deal

Where can you get the Antec P180?

squasher said:
Coolermaster stacker is big too
The Antec P180 is going to be amazing too
But any on that list would do well, its mostly personal preference other factors (room temp.) change your temps then the different cases will

Back