• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barracuda Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daegon

So i'm currently on the box i'm building for a friend:
Asus A8N
XP64 2800+
Seagate Barracuda .7 (80gb)
20gb Maxtor
Windows XP home
(if you need more ask, but I can't think of any other relevant info)

I've got it up, and it's quite happy, until I install this SATA drive. Now I don't have a lot of history with SATA drives, but I don't think i'm doing anything wrong. Once I plug in the SATA drive (in either socket, with one of two SATA cables) I get a BSOD during windows boot. I'm going to continue to see if I can find more precise info for you guys, but this is really perplexing. Thanks for the help!

sounds like something is wrong with the file system. Could be the drive or the windows install. Try running a diagnostic program, and see what happens. Is this a new windows install? Dumb question but do you have the sata controller enabled in the bios?

'tis a completely fresh windows install, XP Home then SP2, then drivers and now this SATA drive.
Bios recognizes the drive just fine, and yup, SATA is enabled. What's really got me is that it works fine without the drive, but when i plug in ye barracuda it BSOD's on me.

yeah I'd run a diagnostic program from seagates site, could be a faulty drive, and if it is still under warranty, then RMA it.

How to set up SATA S.G. Barr.

plug in the SATA drive to the SATA1 controller.
Make sure the ends are plugged in completely.
Do not plug in an IDE drive at this time
In setup.... under ADVANCED..Silicon DATA Controller...... Enabled
In Setup under BOOT... HDD... 1st SATA-m seagate...
your main page of BIOS setup should show PRI Mast Drive O 2nd Mast O
Go thru the Win Install again with only SATA drive installed.
If this fails you most likely have a bad HDD.
Hope this gets you going

Boot from your 20gb drive and run a error check on your seagate HD. Sounds like you have a bad sector that one of your system files are on. If it comes back error free then i would reformat it (not the quick format) and see if that works.

If neither work then RMA it, cause i think it has a 3 or 5yr warranty.

how to know for sure

If you will Fdisk that drive and remove and reset up the partition, then
do a format from dos. Dont wait until XP does the format. I have had two drives that were working in other computers that I kept getting BSOD. I did the Fdisk, and format in Windows XP to NTFS and same thing. I finally did a format from Dos and it picked up some bad places on both drives that did not show up in Windows format.

Back