• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

earbuds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HaTE

dose anyone know where i can get some earbuds that have a cord around 4 1/2 feet long? all i can find are ones with 3-4 foot cords

I was just wondering why you might need a cord which is 4 1/2 feet long? would it be for personal diskman/mp3 player use or computer use or extra long chord to get to a reciever for your tv???

I was just thinking that so that we could offer you alternatives if there are no earphones with 4.5 foot cords. For example you could pick up a cord extender from a local radioshack (or similar store) and then purchase a higher quality set of earbuds such as the ones from sennheiser, and enjoy an extra long cord with higher quality sound. But if that is not what you are looking for, you can check out these sites which offer earbuds with chords of ~4.5 feet long.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_007_003_003_000&product_id=33-1231 (not technically an earbud, but not a headphone either)

ok.. i appologize.. its only one site.. but i must say.. 4.5 feet chorded earphones are pretty hard to come by... Well i have seen any more other then that one. All the Koss earbuds are 4 feet long tho. But i doubt that helps.

Raven

Last edited:
i need them for my iriver mp3 player, today at work i broke the ones that came with the player and they need to be 4 1/2 feet long because i keep the player in my side pocket on my cargo pants

Use this need to justify a headphone amp, and get some nice headphones for it, something like ER4-s, or full size cans if they will work. Alternatively, you could just mod the buds to have a longer cable, the best way being replacing the full cable.

I have the Sony MDR-EX71's and they are quite nice. A lil pricey, but can be found at best buy. Nice isolation, and a little on the bassy side too, but nothin too drastic.

Buhammot said:
I have the Sony MDR-EX71's and they are quite nice. A lil pricey, but can be found at best buy. Nice isolation, and a little on the bassy side too, but nothin too drastic.
They are supposed to be decent, but pricey is relative. Do you find that you can lay on your side with them? There is no way I can do that with my HD580's, and my E2c's are uncomfortable when I do it, but the EX71 looks like it might work.

You can notice a pressure change yea, but on a pillow? give me a min, lemme check... hrmm, not at all bad. i had to lay down to test :D but i prefer the over ear method, as they stay quite well, as well as more comfortable. 50 bucks is what they run.

Buhammot said:
You can notice a pressure change yea, but on a pillow? give me a min, lemme check... hrmm, not at all bad. i had to lay down to test :D but i prefer the over ear method, as they stay quite well, as well as more comfortable. 50 bucks is what they run.
You can find them a bit cheaper than that, I just checked, around $40. I thought they were a little less, I must have been thinking of the EX51. Thanks for checking, I have wanted something that works for this, also looking at the MD33. Since they don't have as much isolation as the E2c's, they might be better for walking around campus, I always feel like I am goint to be hit by a car or something. When you say over the ear method, you mean the wire looping over the top instead of hanging down? This is how I wear my Shures. Any issues with microphonics (wierd sounds when you move, walk, that type of thing).

eehh, not taht i know of on the unusual sounds, as they seat quite well. I didnt pay 50 bucks for em :D, best buy discount and all, but still, they are comfortable, come with 3 different sized earpieces, and i think i am usin em more than my speakers. but i use em to walk around campus, or have one in an ear while eatin or out and about. of course if you hit the wire gently, you can hear it, but doesnt bother me when i am movin about.

HaTE said:
i need them for my iriver mp3 player, today at work i broke the ones that came with the player and they need to be 4 1/2 feet long because i keep the player in my side pocket on my cargo pants

I just bought an iriver H320 a few months ago and they came with sennheiser earbuds.. and i believe that most iriver mp3 players come with those these days (unless it is just a north american thing)., and just from taking a tape measure of the ones i recieved, i measured them at approximately 4 feet 4" in length. So you could go to a local shop and measure or compare sennheisers with your own broken ones. Vendors that i am sure that sell sennheiser earbuds are Radioshack and NCIX.

But yes.. the fontopia earphones do come with a 1 meter extension (and a .5 meter original cord), but i have personally tried them out.. and do prefer the sennheiser. But it is your call, and only you can decide which you prefer.

but also, if you feel up to the challenge and are ambitious enough, you could just as well create your own wire or wire extension, and you could customize it to what ever length you would need. All you would have to have at hand would be a crimper/solder gun, wire, and the proper wire ends and you should be all set.

btw.. cetoole and Buhammot .. please.. if you intend to discuss different topics than HaTE was refering to amongst yourselves, please do that through your own means and try to keep this thread on topic.

Last edited:
Buhammot said:
Ah yes, of course.. However the topic of our discussion was on a given set of earbuds that fit the original criteria. Also, through discussion there may be more ideas that can help him choose a given set of headphones...

But a link to the EX71's

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...arbud&ProductSKU=MDREX71SL/WK&TabName=feature

You can check out the exact specs there. :D

I've got the EX71's as well and use them largely for gaming plus when I need some peace and isolation from the outside world while I'm doing my school work late at nite. Their bass is fairly pronounced so I usually turn the bass down while listening to music and leave it at normal while playing games. I've gone through 2 pairs, first pair I dropped into some boiling soup at school after about a month, I had a white pair I asked my dad to buy from Singapore, but I didn't think twice about getting another set.

They aren't the best like the Shures (?) but they are fairly decent and I would recommend them. Have had mine for like a year and a half and they are still going strong. Fairly comfortable as well.

Back