• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about using a gaming resolution that differs from desktop resolution.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KillrBuckeye

I want to use 1152x864 resolution for a certain game, but my desktop resolution is 1280x1024. When I change to 1152x864 while playing a game, the image on my CRT monitor (19" Mitsubishi Diamondtron) becomes small, i.e. it does not use the entire viewable area of the screen. I realize that I can adjust my monitor so the image covers the whole screen, but my question is whether my monitor will "remember" its settings in 1280x1024 mode. I don't want to mess with my monitor settings until I know that my settings (geometry, size, etc.) at desktop resolution will be safe.

I believe that my previous video card allowed me to adjust the size and geometry of the image on the monitor via software controls. I briefly looked for such a feature with my current card (GeForce 6800GT 128MB w/ Coolbits registry edit), but I couldn't find one. Is there such a feature with the nVidia driver/Coolbits that allows one to save different geometry, size, etc. settings for each resolution mode? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

A CRT should have enough memory to hold different settings at several (if not every) resolution. Unless your CRT uses analog instead of digital controls, it should be fine to adjust and tweak to get it to fill the screen.

JigPu

Shouldn't just adjust it in the games video options. Then when you exit the game your desktops resolution should go back to it's original setting. ^^^What the hay is CRT memory?

The memory that holds the settings you select (colour settings, brightness, crap, crap) in your CRT is also used to hold the display adjustments for different resolutions. It only strictly applies to one card at a time since the output freq from them can differ and they don't match the timings you have on the monitor (happened more in old days then now) which explains why sometimes taking a monitor to another card would result in needing readjustment because it is remembering the ones you chose for the other card....

That software adjustment thing just changes the aformentioned output frequency (cards have horizontal and vertical frequencies in the signal) to match the monitor instead of the other way round. I think.

Back