• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can someone help me route my inet connection too my linux box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt_w_lambert

ok i have a winxp pc that connects through dialup and i have a linux pc that i want too be able too share the connection w/ i have it so i can view my webpage from my server on my linux box from my win pc. but when i try too go too google it dosnt do anything it dosnt even say unknown host,

on my linux box should the gateway be set too the winxp's Ip address or should it be my isp's dns server ?

Since you are connecting through the winxp computer, to the linux computer, you need to set it up as such.

WinXP computer needs an ip of 192.168.0.1, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, ICS (Internet Connetion Sharing) enabled on the dialup connection.
Linux computer needs an ip of 192.168.0.x (anything here but 1), subnet of 255.255.255.0, gateway of 192.168.0.1

thats what i have but i dont know if i have internet sharing enabled in win. how do i do that ? also do i need too change /etc/resolve.conf and dose the win pc need a gw

In my experience, you dont have to give the winpc a gateway. To check for internet sharing, goto your network connections, goto the properties of the dial-up connection, and I belive its in advanced that you can set it for internet sharing.

I am unsure about having to change /etc/resolv.conf, as I have never done internet sharing, but if you wait until tommorow, I can look it up (fixing to go to bed right now)

ok thanks everybody that was very simple i guess i just overlooked something w/ the internet sharing option in windows

Back